Someone Share Their Thoughts On L A Weight Loss

Lounge By mrsdawnwhite Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 11:08pm by JessDesserts

mrsdawnwhite Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 18

Anyone here tried L A Weight loss? If so what were your results? Anyone care to share...

Thanks
Dawn

17 replies
mrsdawnwhite Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 18

Anyone????? I'm supposed to go on Thursday..

Deb_ Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 18

Hi,
I haven't personally tried it but I had a SIL and friend who did. They both had great results while on the program, but as soon as they tried doing it alone they gained the weight back. One of my employees had the same issue with Jenny Craig. I do have to say that the 3 of them have had lifelong weight issues and have been overweight longer than they've been at a normal weight.

After seeing their results, I did Weight Watchers on-line 2 yrs ago this coming April. It was and has been very successful for me. I lost 85lbs. and have been able to keep it all off to this day. I no longer do the on-line thing, but I do take what I learned from them and apply it to my daily life.

I HATE to exercise and I am ashamed to say that I never did 1 minute of exercise to lose the weight. It has been a life changing experience for me and I am so grateful that I was able to do it.

I still weigh myself EVERY day, I know some experts say NOT to do that, but it works for me. I NEED to see if 1 or 2 lbs comes back on, so I can be extra good for a day or 2 to get it off.

Some of the things I loved about this program is that you can eat your own real food and your family can eat the same stuff you are. I never felt hungry or deprived and I still got to eat sweets and have a glass of wine if I wanted to.

I don't mean to turn you off of L A weight loss, I just wanted to share my experience with you. I tried all the fad diets and they worked temporarily, but I always gained the weight back. When I finally looked at it as a "lifestyle change" and not a diet, that's when I was successful.

Good luck and keep us posted!

P.S. For inspiration the Biggest Loser starts tonight, if you haven't seen it in the past, I definitely recommend it. The people on this show have certainly kept me on the right track.......they work soooo hard the poor things, but they look great in the end.

TexasSugar Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

I tried all the fad diets and they worked temporarily, but I always gained the weight back. When I finally looked at it as a "lifestyle change" and not a diet, that's when I was successful.

I think that is the best advice anyone can give.

When I see all the commercials for the meals you get in the mail I always think what happens when you stop eating those. I don't know anything about LA Weight Lose, but as was said above, you have to look at it and see if it is something you can do for the long term.

Right now I am in the process of trying to learn what my body needs food wise and work on eating around that. When I know how many crabs, protiens, fats and so on I need a day, I can build up the foods I ate to get that and then adjust as my life needs me too.

Monkess Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 18

dkelly27- good job with that weight loss. I did sign uo with ww online, but sadly couldnt make head or tail of it!! I was totally lost on the website even though I am an internet junkie, and just couldnt ge tthe tools to work for me...what really did you use there and how was it helpful, maybe I could try again? thanks!

Monkess Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 18

dkelly27- good job with that weight loss. I did sign uo with ww online, but sadly couldnt make head or tail of it!! I was totally lost on the website even though I am an internet junkie, and just couldnt ge tthe tools to work for me...what really did you use there and how was it helpful, maybe I could try again? thanks!

Monkess Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 18

-Tubbs Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 12:37am
post #8 of 18

Not personally, but I know people who have tried every program there is, including LA and Dr Bernstein, which seems to be very popular here. A couple of friends lost a LOT of weight, but I'm sorry to say that not one has kept it off.

I stopped dieting about 5 years ago. I'm about 35 pounds more than I'd like to be, but I have a family history of obesity and yo-yo dieting, and made a concious decision to opt out of that whole destructive cycle. I just try to eat well (yeah, too much, but at least lots of fruits, veggies and other good stuff), and don't worry about the excess. I have a strong, healthy body which I am grateful for, and try not to be concerned about the wobbly bits (having a husband who likes me curvy helps too!).

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck. icon_smile.gif

mrsdawnwhite Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 12:57am
post #9 of 18

thank all of you for the replies... I guess I'm the type of person that can't do this on their own.. I have to have a support group..
All replies are welcome and very appreciated.

adonisthegreek1 Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 2:34am
post #10 of 18

I did L.A. Weightloss a few years ago, between my second and third child. Yes, I did lose about 30 pounds, before I got pregnant again. Although I lost weight, I can't say that I'd recommend the program. Little by little they sucker you into buying only their vitamins, nutrients and snacks, etc. Before you know it, you've spent well over $1,000. No way is losing weight worth that type of money.

You pay for so much of their product upfront that they graciously offer to house at their location for you. In Michigan and a few other states, all of the LA Weightloss Centers closed. A while later, they reopened as Pure Weightloss. At least in Michigan, all of those have closed as well. Many people never got reimbursed or got the products that they paid for. For that reason, I would not go there.

Also, I dont think the whole staff was well trained and knew much about nutrition, rather than just reciting the diet rules. Wearing a lab coat, doesn't make one a true health professional.

If you need help to lose weight, you are better off to join some nutrition and exercise classes at the YMCA or Fitness $19. Those silly gimmicks of eating only a certain center's product is ridiculous. You have to make a lifestyle change to lose weight and KEEP it off. Take it from me. I know firsthand.

Deb_ Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 9:07pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkess

Thanks monkess! Sorry to take so long to answer, I couldn't get on CC all day yesterday.
One of the things that I liked about the WW on-line was the daily food tracker that you can use. There was something about having to "account" for what I ate that made me want to hold off on that extra serving. When you write down everything you eat and see it in black and white, you realize just how many calories your taking in.

For example: I was never a breakfast eater. I'd have coffee at home and on my way to work I'd go through the Dunkin Donuts drive-thru and order a coffee and muffin. (figuring muffins are better than donuts, right?) Well, it turned out that 1 muffin accounted for 1/3 of the total points I was allowed in an entire day! An hour after I ate it I was hungry again.

The point system really made me realize how many "empty" calories I was ingesting in a day. Since I did Weight Watchers, I eat a full breakfast each morning and than a snack mid-morning, lunch, snack, dinner and sometimes a snack at night. I eat more often now than I did before and I've kept the weight off.

It took me about 10 months to lose all the weight, some weeks I'd only lose 1 lb. I only joined for 3 months on-line and after that I knew the point system so well that I just kept a food journal on paper and didn't bother continuing my membership.

Believe me, I'm not promoting this program for any reason other than it worked for me. I liked the fact that you can eat real, homemade food, that the entire family can eat with you. I don't like the idea of pre-packaged frozen food. I can get lean cuisine for a lot less than Jenny Craig or any of those other company's food. Let's face it there in the business to make money, so they will try to sell people the world.

To the OP, if a support system is what you need, you can go to weight watcher's meetings in your area. Be sure to check with your physician before you begin any diet (hate that word), lifestyle change!

I'll try to post before and after pictures if I can shrink them enough

icon_lol.gif Gotta wait for hubby to come home to help me with the scanner though.

Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 11:25pm
post #12 of 18

I have never done LA weightloss but I am a lifetime member of Weightwatchers.I too have kept the weight off.Dkelly27 hit the nail on the head..it has to be a lifestyle change.When I looked at it that way it was very easy to follow.Most of the diet programs are expensive to join and keep going and once you do quit eating their food...many have gained it all back! Good Luck in your weighloss!

MaisieBake Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 11:32pm
post #13 of 18

You might google around for "LA weight loss closing"--before you sign a contract.

michellenj Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 5:38am
post #14 of 18

I've knwn five people who have done the LA WL. One has kept it off for about 10 years and looks fabulous, one got even fatter than before, two are back to their start weight, and the other one yo-yo's.

Weight Watchers online has worked for me. It really helped me see what I'm eating in terms of how much exercise I have to do. For example, I figured out that one brownie = 4 freakin' miles that I have to run. But I CAN eat it if I want, and I don't have to exercise, but once your 35 freebie points are gone for the week, that's it. You still get your daily points but if you go over you should exercise to earn some activity points.

I have ended up working out quite a bit because I like to eat! And all of my BLT's (bites, licks, and tastes) really added more calories than I thought. Lost of things are low or zero points. A glass of wine is only 2 points, so technically I could have 10 glasses of wine in a day if I didn't eat icon_lol.gif

You should check them out, if you are interested you could google coupon codes and get like 3 mos. free or something. That is how I started out with them.

-K8memphis Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:28am
post #15 of 18

I do Southbeach and it truly does involve a lifestyle change for me to keep the weight off. But Southbeach is great for me.

Here's a thought for you and maybe if I can't get sleepy I'll go look up the studies but they are out there. This is how I understand what goes on in my own system--Sugar is a seriously addicting ingredient. I am literally hooked.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-12/pu-scb120908.php
But there's other studies too--not all peer-reviewed yet.

There are three parts to addiction--you have to want an increasing amount, you have withdrawal if you don't get it and there's craving and relapse to complete the picture.

Many of our foods turn to sugar inside us and our body processes it as sugar, lotsa carbs are processed as sugar like saltine crackers, fruit juice obviously most sweets.

So when I eat sugar my body says stop burning fat and STORE STORE STORE. Heheheh little brat. So when I avoid all drippings of sugar my body says BURN BURN BURN. I drop the weight.

Then I want a cookie 'cause I'm there I'm at a good BMI. I'm cool. I eat a cookie, two cookies--not even near the levels of earlier years of a plate of cookies in place of a meal, or a 'comfort food' supper of chips and sour cream etc. And my body stores everything I eat that day.

Turns it into fat and I can see the cellulite jiggling on my thighs by day break like so much cubed jello glistening on the cafeteria sheves.

So having a support group is a good thing.

For me it's getting past an addiction, a dependency. Dude, when I am loosing weight like now, I am so fricken tired down deep inside, I crave something sugary to give me a boost out of that. But I know that tiredness is burning the stored fat.

And I've got the slow metablosim and thyroid issue to make craving sweets easier for the boost it gives.

I guess that doesn't have so much to do with LAWL but it's 3 AM I can't sleep and I'm rambling. icon_biggrin.gif

But no really, maybe that kind of thought process is something that might be of benefit to someone else who is wanting to keep their weight off and trying to maintain the life style change part. When I make myself look at it as an addiction for me it helps a lot. It really rings true for me. I can't have just a little.

SS385Monte Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 8:13pm
post #16 of 18

I lost about 50 pounds using www.sparkpeople.com. I think it was actually somebody on here who recommended it. It has a food tracker that is full of all sorts of foods to select from PLUS you can add your own recipes. They will give you a recommended calorie range for your age, height, activity level and weight loss goal. It also will take into account special dietary concerns and give you recommended meals. Personally, I turned off their recommended meals but some people find them very helpful.

There are support forums that you can ask questions, vent, or get ideas from. Other users and the SP experts post on these boards. The best part is that they advertise it as a lifestyle change - not a diet. They understand that birthdays, Christmas and cookouts happen. It's been a couple of years that I've been using it and I can honestly say that I make better choices now even when I'm not actively on the website. Sorry for the rambling. Hope this helps!

michellenj Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 12:06am
post #17 of 18

Ooh, they were talking about this on the Weight Watcers discussion boards a few days ago. I'm going to check it out.

JessDesserts Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 11:08pm
post #18 of 18

thank goodness for 3am posting!! ty for the info!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%