Cricut For Cake Decorating?

Decorating By nefcook21 Updated 26 Jan 2010 , 9:29pm by kylakae

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm
post #31 of 81

I would love some updates about the possibilities with this machine. I just purchased one, and would love to find out what others are able to do with it.

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

cre8ivegenes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cre8ivegenes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:40pm
post #32 of 81

Not cutting the fondant only using it to make templates or cut the fondant or transfer paper. It's like clay and would ruin your cricut. It must be paper

NanaFixIt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaFixIt Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:05am
post #33 of 81

Cricut (actually Provo Craft) makes vinyl that can be cut with the machine. I've been using it to make more durable stencils for use with RI and airbrushing. Also, they have a computer adapter you can buy so that you can download the shapes and fonts instead of buying the cartridges. With the adapter, you can also use shapes directly from your computer (and additional fonts from your text programs). It's really versatile - I LOVE IT!!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #34 of 81

nanafixit.....................is that with the first cricut or the expression the new one?

NanaFixIt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaFixIt Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:53am
post #35 of 81

I have the Expression, but as I understood my research, the only real difference b/w the 2 was that the Expression will cut up to 12"x24" paper or vinyl. All of the cartridges are interchangeable and the blades are the same. I think you can do it all with either machine!

I do believe the pc adapter feature is only available with the Expression, but I'm not 100% sure.
Cricut has a terrific site with all kinds of info: www.cricut.com - check it out for more info.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:44pm
post #36 of 81

Ladies you can buy the software for your "bug" BUT you still must own the cartridge. I have the software, jukebox and the "bug" and this is what I can do. You choose the cartridge you want to use from your list on the software then push the appropriate button on the jukebox (this holds up to 6 cartridges and you don't have to install them on your machine every time you change) choose your image and tell the machine to cut. I am not sure how you would use the icing sheets or fondant in the machine because the mat you place the paper on is very sticky and would tear up an icing sheet. I have made many many patterns for my cakes on my cricut, but would be very scared to actually put something like that in my precious machine. If you have put icing sheets in there please tell how you got around the mat problem.
Melissa

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:42pm
post #37 of 81

I'm lost again for I am a visual person. Does anyone have a link to a cake they did using this process?

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:08pm
post #38 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalhoun

I am not sure how you would use the icing sheets or fondant in the machine because the mat you place the paper on is very sticky and would tear up an icing sheet. I have made many many patterns for my cakes on my cricut, but would be very scared to actually put something like that in my precious machine. If you have put icing sheets in there please tell how you got around the mat problem.
Melissa

The frosting sheets that you purchase are on a slick backing... that's the part that would be up against the mat, I believe. I don't have the cricut, but have contemplated buying it because it's so cool! icon_wink.gif I don't even scrapbook! But I DO cake, so this would be an excellent excuse to buy one now!

I, too, would like to see an example of someone's cake who HAS used it either for a template or for the icing sheets.

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:30pm
post #39 of 81

Whoever thought of using the Cricut is just sheer genius if you ask me. thumbs_up.gif

mcalhoun Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:17pm
post #40 of 81

Ok J-Pal I can see the backing being on the sticky mat but I thought and I may be totally wrong but the frosting sheets can they be bent? In order to take them off the mat you literally have to pull them up. The mat is very sticky sometimes the cardstock is left w/ a big curl in it when I get it off. Would the icing sheet be ok or wouldn't it crack? I really want this to work because I would love to put my pens in the cricut and write stuff

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:33pm
post #41 of 81

Keeping in mind that I haven't actually tried it, I still think it should work. The frosting sheets that I use are very bendable. If they crack it's because someone left the bag open. The paper backing behind the frosting sheet is that shiny "paper" similar to what stickers are often stuck to, or stamps... you know what I mean? It's very flexible as well and, in fact, unlike cardstock, it would NOT hold the curve after pulling it from the mat. It would go back to being flat. Make sense? Again, keep in mind I'm speaking from experience with frosting sheets, but not with the cricut!

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 7:50pm
post #42 of 81

I dont have a cricut, but I do have a silhouette craft machine (same as the Craft Robo mentioned on the previous page). I ADORE this machine!!! I use it to cut choc. transfer sheets, make stencils, letters, cards, etc!

It's advantage over the cricut is that it doesnt have cartridges. It hooks up to your computer and you can create your own images, use ANY font you want, and have access to literally THOUSANDS of images that you can purchase for about $1.99 an image. I bought an unlimited membership to the online store, which means that I get all the downloads I want for a year for about $120 (it was half off and i got 2 months free).

I've even made cardstock boxes from the templates to put my cake truffles in and other candies in. The options for this machine are LIMITLESS.

mcalhoun Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 8:35pm
post #43 of 81

Ok I will put on my detective hat and buy a frosting sheet and try it out. I will let you all know how I come out. Can I pick up a plain frosting sheet at Walmart or Targets bakery?

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:00pm
post #44 of 81

I am so glad I found this topic. I've been wondering about the Cricut machines for cake decorating for a long time. I'm happy to hear many others are using it and loving it.

So I'm still confused though on custom images. Here's what I really want to use it for (obviously besides the countless images to make shapes for stencils and cutters). I made a bunch of scrap book paper cupcake wrappers a while ago, cutting each one out by hand. Loved the end result, but they were so time consuming to cut myself. That's when I started wondering about some sort of cutting machine. The next time I was at my local craft store, I saw the Cricut, which I've seen many times before but I'm not a scrap booker so never really paid too much attention to it. But that got me wondering if I could use that machine to cut my cupcake wrapper from the template I have. So can someone tell me if that is a possibility with this machine? If so, I am sooooooo buying this. I love making fun and unique wrappers from all the cute papers out there, and this would be such a time saver.

I'd also love to see any pics anyone wants to post on how they've used the machine on cakes.

Am I a nerd that this whole topic and all the possibilities gets me super excited??? LOL!

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:39pm
post #45 of 81

most definitely not a nerd for being excited about it. I am too! It is funny, I had borrowed my friends a couple of months back thinking it would be AWESOME to be able to use it for cakes and such. I did try it with fondant (with my friends ok, since I was petrified of ruining her machine) and for obvious reasons, it didn't work. As soon as it had to turn, it tore.

Didn't think to try it with frosting sheets (STUPID ME!!). Does it work? And now I wonder if it would work with wafer paper with it stuck on another piece of paper in the corners so it doesn't tear trying to get it off of the mat.

mcalhoun Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:48pm
post #46 of 81

Ok I finally tried it last night - sorry it took so long I work at a comercial very busy HVAC company and imagine this the buildings in Dallas need a/c even in this crummy economy hmmm.....icon_smile.gif I am actually grateful we are busy no complaints here. Back to the subject at hand. I tried the frosting sheet w/ the marker instead of the blade on my Cricut and it does work. I tried several fonts some of them are not legible but the George did very well. I have one called celebrations and tried the Happy Birthday it has on it but you connnot tell what it is supposed to be. I think it looks better when you put a space after each letter so the marker doesnt bleed into the letter next to it. Also leave the sheet in the machine for a couple of minutes till the ink dries good - I pressed unload as soon as it was finished and I have a little smearing of the ink. I will try and post a picture for you all to see.
Melissa

mcalhoun Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:21pm
post #47 of 81

here it is - I hope icon_confused.gif
LL

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:42pm
post #48 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjulie

I dont have a cricut, but I do have a silhouette craft machine (same as the Craft Robo mentioned on the previous page). I ADORE this machine!!! I use it to cut choc. transfer sheets, make stencils, letters, cards, etc!

Hey chefjulie, can it cut stencil vinyl? How big are the sheets you can use for it? I'm looking at a stencil I spent $30 on and having wistful thoughts about making my own!

pigninnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pigninnie Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 8:59pm
post #49 of 81

this thread is so cool can't wait to read more intresting stuff about it before i buy!

nefcook21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefcook21 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:12pm
post #50 of 81

mccalhoun--what ink are you using?

mcalhoun Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:38pm
post #51 of 81

The cricut has markers you can use instead of the cutting blade. I think for what I would use it for it would be ok. I am planning on using it to make signs w/ birthday wishes and such.

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:19pm
post #52 of 81

I got an expression and use it to make diamond shapes for a cake. When my DH asked how much it was I just said I can use t for cakes and scrapbooking.

Question tough, is the ink safe if it were eaten by a child? And where can you the frosting sheets?

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 4:21am
post #53 of 81

I wonder if a thin sheet of Sugerveil would work or a very thin sheet of gumpaste that was allowed to dry for a bit?

mcalhoun Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 8:29pm
post #54 of 81

I don't know if the markers are non toxic I just put them on a sign that is not to be eaten.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 12:00am
post #55 of 81

Tootie0809....If you're wanted to do custom cutting, like cupcake wrappers, I'm pretty sure you would have to use the computer based cutters like Craft Robo, Pazzles, etc. Those are the ones that you can import any image or font, alter, resize, etc and then cut. With the Cricut machines you are limited to shapes and fonts available on cartridge or by the adapter written about in a previous post.

I have a Pazzles machine so I can cut anything - including custom cupcake liners! I haven't had the guts to try the fondant/gumpaste yet, but I'm getting close. Since I use it for so many other projects for my business I'd hate to damage it somehow.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:16am
post #56 of 81

I just watched a "how to" DVD on using gumpaste in the Cricut. It explains everything as far as using gumpaste in it and also how to convert the markers to use airbrush colors. I think is is worth the $. Go to www.deseretdesigns.com to see samples and how to order.

I don't have a cricut yet but was interested in the lace and scroll work for wedding cakes and fancy cakes. My only concern is that it might be difficult to cut a cake with the gumpast on the top and/or sides. Wondering if it would have to be removed first.

Now thinking maybe Jennifer Dontz' chocolate fondant might work well in the machine. Wonder if any of you with a machine might be willing to try her fondant recipe.

Hope this helps. Would like your thoughts and feedback.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:44am
post #57 of 81

I have silhouette, still in box. I'll examine the thing and get back to you on this........Is the recipe posted?

Juliefes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juliefes Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:27pm
post #58 of 81

I just discovered this site today. I have never made a fancy decoration for a cake, but I have been using digital cutters for scrapbooking and cardmaking for over 4 years. I am very intrigued about the possibility of using my cutters to make cake decorations. My next step will be to purchase some frosting sheets or gum paste and try some cutting. I look forward to learning more here about how to cut my edible cake decorations with my cutters!

Digital cutters are not very complicated in terms of how they cut, so as long as the sheets or paste are no thicker than 1mm, any of digital cutters on the market should cut without a problem. You could save a special blade for use with cake decorations if you were concerned about contaminating the cake or blade. If the frosting sheets have a backing, then there should not be any problem with the frosting causing problems for the cutter.

I purchased my Cricut Expression with two cartridges on Black Friday last Fall for $199 at Walmart- a deal I could not pass up. There was a special promotion at that time for two more free cartridges, so I got those as well. I don't purchase cartridges for it, though, because I purchased Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL) software so I could use fonts from my collection of over 100,000 with it. I have collected hundreds of thousands of free cutting files in various cutter groups through the years, and I can convert those for use in SCAL to cut on the Cricut.

I design cutting files, and teach online classes on how to use cutters. I can answer many of your questions regarding creating and cutting custom designs on these cutters, including the Cricut cutters that have been discussed here. In fact this week, I posted a free set of cupcake wrapper templates to the scal4beginners Yahoo group. These templates can be used with the Sure Cuts A Lot software to cut on the Cricut (any size). Each of the templates can be customized using basic shapes, fonts, or images from dingbat fonts, or cutting files created by others, and cut on the Cricut. I have these wrappers available in formats for use on many different cutters, including Gazelle, Pazzles Inspiration and Pazzles other cutters, Craft Robo, Wishblade, Silhouette, Klic N Kut and other cutters. Most of these cutters do not require expensive cartridges, and they allow you to make custom designs to cut in many types of media.

If you have not purchased a cutter yet, and you are comfortable using computers, and you don't want to spend a lot of money on cartridges and special software, then I highly recommend that you consider purchasing a cutter that you can use with a computer. I own the Cricut Expression, Craft Robo.Pazzles Inspiration, and Pazzles Pro. I had, but got rid of a Wishblade, Silhouette, Pazzles Mini, and used several others that I decided not to purchase. The Pazzles Pro is by far my favorite, but also the most expensive. My next favorite is the Gazelle. It does all that the Cricut Expression will do, and more. Most importantly, it comes with outstanding full-featured, easy to use software for doing custom designs or for using designs made by others. It comes with 750 cutting images built in, and it will use all of your fonts, and dingbat fonts as well.

Thanks for all those who have posted helpful information about cutting gum paste on the Cricut!

Starchmans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starchmans Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 7:50pm
post #59 of 81

I emailed the people at sugarveil and they said that a thin sheet of sugarveil that has set could be cut in the cricut. I'm excited about that, but just got my sugarveil and am not very good with it yet. Any experience with that?

nefcook21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefcook21 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 11:54pm
post #60 of 81

Just came across this site. Am so excited about the DVD. Can't wait to order it!!

http://www.creativedesignscakes.com/index.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%