Embarassing Female Question (Maybe Tmi)

Lounge By krysoco Updated 23 May 2009 , 7:33pm by krysoco

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:41am
post #31 of 53

Karema, yogurt HELPS yeast infections it doesn't Cause them.

To the OP. after my DH had his vasectomy and we didn't have to use condoms any longer I started having reoccurring yeast infections. I mean there wasn't more than 3 or 4 days a month that I was yeast free or comfortable, it was horrible.
My doctor gave me everything, Diflucan didn't help, the creams didn't help, vaginal scraping (horrible) didn't help. I too had to have a biopsy for cervical cancer, that was negative, so don't worry about that, it's routine for gals like us.
Finally when I told him that I never had one until we stopped using condoms, he had my DH get tested. Yup, he was the problem. Once he was put on meds my yeast infections cleared up for good. This was 18 yrs ago and I haven't had one since, Thank God. My husband's uric acid #'s were off the chart high, and this was the cause of my infections, it wasn't that he was harboring yeast, oddly enough.

Be sure that your DH takes the meds, sometimes men can be jerks about this but what I told my DH was........either you take that damn pill everyday or you better stop at the corner store for some condoms.

I guarantee you that once your DH gets treated you will be fine. Also, eat yogurt, I have 2 a day and that's been proven to prevent yeast infections (it says it right on the yogurt container)

Good luck, and feel better.

P.S. I remember one thing that helped me was soaking in a warm tub with the Aveeno Oatmeal Bath in it. Don't use bubble bath, use fragrance free laundry detergent, wear cotton undies, and never wash with soap down there....use gentle vaginal cleansers. Also don't douche while you have a yeast infection, it will push the yeast further inside you. Wow, this is getting graphic! Sorry! (and my family thinks all we do is discuss cakes on here, if they only knew icon_lol.gif )

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:56am
post #32 of 53

Thank you dkelly27. I also sent you a PM.

My doc doesn't recognize men having yeast infections neither breast yeast infections in women.
How exactly was your DH tested?????
OMG since I started getting these YI, I was douching w/just about anything to wipe it out. Good to know I wasn't suppose to. icon_sad.gif I always wash down there w/soap. icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif I guess I was doing things wrong.
I did a saliva test at the health store on my DH. He tested positive for yeast. The health store recommended a yeast cleanse kit for him. I'm taking Olive Leaf for myself. Although things are better, it still isn't nearly cleared up. The problem w/herbal supplements is that they take forever to work.

Deb_ Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:13am
post #33 of 53

I didn't get the PM yet.

My DH's doctor did a full blood work-up on him and a urine test. At first he was a little put off and kept saying "I feel fine, you're the one with the infection" (which totally p'd me off). When his Dr. explained to him that he could be a carrier of yeast and not actually have any symptoms, he agreed to try the medication. Well, within 1 month I was all cleared up.

Yeah, it's hard to believe but douching actually can make your infection worse. I know all you want to do is clean constantly but the more stuff you use the more irritated it can make you. Try the Aveeno baths they really will soothe the irritation, and tell DH "No doing laundry" til the yeast infection's gone. Our Dr. also recommended using condoms for the first month after my DH started taking the medication. He was retested after 1 month and his levels were all normal.

P.S. 18 yrs later, he's still on the medication. He tried going off of them 1 time, but his blood levels went up again, so he's just stayed on them ever since.

krysoco Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:18am
post #34 of 53

what were the meds?

Deb_ Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:35am
post #35 of 53

Just PM'd you icon_smile.gif

krysoco Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:52am
post #36 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

Just PM'd you icon_smile.gif

Right back at ya thumbs_up.gif

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:23am
post #37 of 53

Have you checked the internet for non-traditional remedies? I had some a couple years ago and thought there had to be a better way than that nasty stuff my doctor prescribed. (plus I was sick of sitting in the waiting room, spending money on prescriptions, etc) What worked for me was a tampon soaked in tea tree oil. Sounds weird but it worked like a charm. Apparently the oil is antibacterial or something. I think it cleared up within a few days (I forget how quickly the itching disappeared, but I remember it being pretty quick - the oil is somewhat minty and feels cool). What's better: completely antibiotic free. Live-culture yogurt is also an option (again, on a tampon) but it was a bit too messy for my taste. The good cultures in the yogurt overpower the bad cultures that are bothering you and restore the natural balance in the "neighborhood". Hope this helps a few of you! I know I was relieved to find the information and that it worked so well!

krysoco Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 5:25pm
post #38 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicita

Have you checked the internet for non-traditional remedies?
What worked for me was a tampon soaked in tea tree oil. Sounds weird but it worked like a charm.

I hope this isn't too graphic but....I tried the tea tree oil swabbed on the outside. I DID NOT dilute it. It burned like crazy the next day. It looked like it ate the skin off. icon_cry.gif Did you dilute yours? The directions on the bottle say to dilute. I used it straight and just externally.

I've also tried garlic twice. It was like everything else. It helped but didn't completely clear it up.
I've tried gentian violet too.
Douching w/apple cider vinegar.
Soaking in epsom salt.
Soaking in white vinegar.
Monistat
Nystatin
Diflucan
Terazol
icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 7:07pm
post #39 of 53

I don't remember diluting it at all but didn't use it externally. I found it to be quite soothing and not uncomfortable at all. Maybe it was a different concentration? But you know, everybody can react so differently to things, maybe you just have to find what works for you.
I don't see yogurt on your list. That's very gentle and soothing - maybe you should check that out? At this point it probably can't hurt.

I know how frustrating that is - I used to have major bladder infection problems until I discovered cranberry tablets. Pop 4 or so of those at the fist sign of symptoms and no more problems! But it took quite a few infections - and weight gain from liters and liters of juice - until I figured it out.

Good luck!!

krysoco Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 12:28am
post #40 of 53

Thanks yall for all the suggestions and help. I had my biopsy done today. Ohhhhhhhh how painful that was. Just crossing my fingers that everything is okay. Thanks again.

Deb_ Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:13am
post #41 of 53

Crossing my fingers for you too......sending you good luck vibes and many prayers for a clear biopsy.

Deb

krysoco Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:33am
post #42 of 53

Thank you! I'm feeling much better today. Thank goodness. It's good to finally be getting back to normal.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 6:09pm
post #43 of 53
Quote:
Quote:

Karema, yogurt HELPS yeast infections it doesn't Cause them.

I was just trying to be helpful. I have never gotten a yeast infection from eating yogurt either but my sister in law swears that she gets a yeast infection everytime she eats yogurt. She said that her body just makes too much yeast and eating the yogurt makes her get an infection. It may just be possible! Thank you.

krysoco Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:50pm
post #44 of 53

I got my biopsy results back today. It was NEGATIVE!!! Omigosh, I'm so relieved. I still have to do the cryosurgery. But at least I know its not cancer. HOORAY!!! I'm so happy.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:52pm
post #45 of 53

Thats great news! Im happy for you and your family!

2SimplySweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SimplySweet Posted 14 May 2009 , 9:08pm
post #46 of 53

Too much sugar can cause recurrent YI. Look at your diet and talk to your doctor. Good Luck

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 15 May 2009 , 11:56am
post #47 of 53

also drinking a lot of apple juice (acid) can cause Y.I.

krysoco Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:20pm
post #48 of 53

I didn't know this thread was still alive. Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up taking Olive Leaf for the yeast. Although it helped, it didn't cure it. So I followed up with a Lymphatic Cleanse and that totally got rid of my problems. I just did another saliva sample b/c my symptoms were mildly reappearing. Turns out that I have yet another build up of formaldehyde (sp.?) in my body as with the first go round also. I also have high uric acid which can cause these same symptoms.

So bottom line is I have to find out whats causing this. I do know that Charmin toilet paper contains formaldehyde and it was part of the culprit. I had switched to this brand when my problems started. I believe that the high uric acid is due to me starting to drink soft drinks. Bad, I know. These 2 things I'll have to cut out altogether. Anyway I know this is a lil TMI, just hoping that maybe (by some stretch of the imagination) that I could possibly help someone else w/similar problems.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 21 May 2009 , 9:32pm
post #49 of 53

I maybe sooo late with this, but if it's still going on, you may want to get a full STD workup done. I know no married woman wants to believe it's possible, but some STD's you can have for years with no symptoms.

I know from being married to a lab tech that one that presents as a continual yeast infection is trichomoniasis. Is the most common and, thankfully, curable STD around. Your doctor should've already tested you for all of them, but they usually only test for chlamydia, gonorrehea and HPV during your annual.

krysoco Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:08am
post #50 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

I maybe sooo late with this, but if it's still going on, you may want to get a full STD workup done. I know no married woman wants to believe it's possible, but some STD's you can have for years with no symptoms.

I know from being married to a lab tech that one that presents as a continual yeast infection is trichomoniasis. Is the most common and, thankfully, curable STD around. Your doctor should've already tested you for all of them, but they usually only test for chlamydia, gonorrehea and HPV during your annual.

Yes, I had already given permission to take cultures. I didn't know at the time that is was for STDs. But everything came out clear anyway. Please be aware that Trich is not only a STD. You can get it other ways too. Women are notorious for picking it up in hot tubs. Thank you anyway.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:44am
post #51 of 53

Sure, I hope everything works out.

StarbucksAddict Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StarbucksAddict Posted 23 May 2009 , 6:16am
post #52 of 53

Just for anyone else who may end up having chronic yeast infections or BV and cannot seem to get relief with oral treatments (clindamycin, difulcan) or vaginal creams (terzol)...

Speak with your physician about something called AciGel. It can be extremely hard to come by, as the maker of the brand name (AciGel) is no longer making it, but another company is, and it is called Acidic Vaginal Jelly (which I believe was just the generic of AciGel). It is used just like terzol, but this changes the pH of the vagina, making it inhospitable to those little beasties. I was able at one time to obtain it from the local grocery pharmacy, but they have since been baffled. Mail-order (I used MedCo) was where I was able to obtain it. Use it before bed for about 3-5 days. It was what got rid of my continual 5 years of BV and yeast infections; I've been on so many rounds of antibiotics including major surgery which absolutely brought another horrid infection, and this was the only thing to rid it.

And your prescribing doctor may think you're a little nuts because they probably have never heard of it. (http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-19909-Acidic+Vaginal+Jelly+Vagl.aspx?drugid=19909&drugname=Acidic+Vaginal+Jelly+Vagl) I was given this from a 25+ practicing year reproductive endocrinologist at Johns Hopkins.

krysoco Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:33pm
post #53 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarbucksAddict

Just for anyone else who may end up having chronic yeast infections or BV and cannot seem to get relief with oral treatments (clindamycin, difulcan) or vaginal creams (terzol)...

Speak with your physician about something called AciGel. It can be extremely hard to come by, as the maker of the brand name (AciGel) is no longer making it, but another company is, and it is called Acidic Vaginal Jelly (which I believe was just the generic of AciGel). It is used just like terzol, but this changes the pH of the vagina, making it inhospitable to those little beasties. I was able at one time to obtain it from the local grocery pharmacy, but they have since been baffled. Mail-order (I used MedCo) was where I was able to obtain it. Use it before bed for about 3-5 days. It was what got rid of my continual 5 years of BV and yeast infections; I've been on so many rounds of antibiotics including major surgery which absolutely brought another horrid infection, and this was the only thing to rid it.

And your prescribing doctor may think you're a little nuts because they probably have never heard of it. (http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-19909-Acidic+Vaginal+Jelly+Vagl.aspx?drugid=19909&drugname=Acidic+Vaginal+Jelly+Vagl) I was given this from a 25+ practicing year reproductive endocrinologist at Johns Hopkins.

Wow thanks. Good info. WIll look it up later.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%