Indydebi Bc Question

Decorating By lolobell Updated 6 Jan 2009 , 4:54pm by tiggy2

lolobell Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 19

Okay all!!! Thanks to all of you my Mom's 80th birthday cake turned out great. Indydebi's BC was a breeze to make and super easy to work with. I just have one question though. It crusted well, but I'm wondering if I did something wrong because it was hard as a rock. and when we went to cut into the cake, it crumbled. I don't mind some crusting so to smooth easily and make transport less stressful but this was really, really hard. Did I do something wrong? Or is that what it is supposed to do?

Thanks,
Marianne

18 replies
indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 19

No, that's not what it's suppose to do. Did you refrigerate or freeze the cake prior? (Although I don't think that will turn it rock hard).

I'm puzzled, too. icon_confused.gif

lolobell Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 19

Oh, I'm so glad it's you!! I did have the cake in the frig over night PRIOR to decorating. I decorated it and left it out at room temp. This morning i got up and touched it and it was rock hard and when we cut it it just crumbled.

This is how I made it:
I creamed the criso, vanilla, dream whip and milk until creamy..about 3-4 mins.
Then I slowly added my PS, mixed on medium/high for about 8 mins until really smooth.
It tasted great, looked great and was so easy to work with but it was hard as a rock.
how does it come out for you????

indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 19

When I make it, I can touch the icing and it won't leave a fingerprint or an indent (I mean, unless you really jab it!) but when I cut it, it's nice and soft inside. You mixed it the same way I do. I ice cakes sometimes partially frozen so the cake being in the 'frig shouldn't be a factor.

Did it spread ok? Meaning, was it thin enough for spreading, yet thick enough to be "icing" consistency? If it seemed too thick when you spread it, I would add more milk next time.

If it seemed ok .... icon_confused.gif ..... I don't know .... I'd chalk it up to a fluke and see if it happens next time. If it does, go to my website to get my phone number and call me to see if we can figure this out for you! thumbs_up.gif

jlsheik Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 19

Oh gosh...I have never had this happen. Every cake I make has Indy's BC on it!! Give it another whirl!!

lolobell Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 19

You are sooo kind. Thank you for the letter and the offer to speak with me to figure it out. I just may take you up on that!!! My one thought was this...I did a lot of small "star" piping, but normally I do a nice layer of the same color I'm piping with. this time I just did like a crumb coat type layer and then did my piping. Is it possible there was just not enough icing on the cake to form that "crusty on the outside, soft on the inside" texture? Does that question make sense?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!

indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:51pm
post #7 of 19

Yes,makes sense, but that's how I do my basketweaves .... crumb coat and then use the basketweave tip over that, so I don't think that's it either.

Once we do get this figured out, you'll be the resident expert on it, ya know!! thumbs_up.gif

lolobell Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 12:17am
post #8 of 19

Hmmm, mystery! I was hoping that was it. Well, I have another cake coming up next week (a football cake for my nephew), so I will try it again. I have to admit though that I was a little embarrassed today when people were trying to eat it and it just crumbled. The plates all had bits of really dry icing all over them!!!!!!!!!!! The cake itself looked great but....
Oh well! I'll try it again and see what happens. I really appreciate your time, advice and help on trying to solve this issue. I was so excited to have found an easy BC recipe so I hope it was a fluke!
Anything else you or anyone can add is surely welcome!
Marianne

johnson6ofus Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 5:00am
post #9 of 19

More milk! I am a new convert to Indydebi's icing.... it was a dream. Thanks Debi thumbs_up.gif But I did add more milk. It crusted well, was smooth, and "stuck to the cake" normally. WOW- is it yummy!

I really love dream whip anyway, but adding it to the mix was just great...

bizatchgirl Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 5:20am
post #10 of 19

Lolobell, where are you? Here in Az, I have to add a ton of extra milk to just about any recipe I ever use. Even in the winter when it's not 1000 degrees, it's still dryer than heck.

I haven't used Indydebi's recipe, but I have had very, very similar experiences with the Wilton's BC. So for me it's now more milk!

Frankyola Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 9:58am
post #11 of 19

I am indydebi's buttercream fanatic, I never had a problem and I am a newbie on this and since the first time I used I felt in love with this buttercream even my son when I make something different he always ask Mommy what did you use on this frosting did you add to much butter or something else? I don't like it!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif You better make indydebi's icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif and the funny is that he is 7 years old. icon_lol.gif , but since I start using indydebis' I love it and I use to tell my family that I use indydebi's buttercream, and we love it.

Sorry my comment it is so long, but what you can do is try using more milk, I think. thumbs_up.gif

Niquie Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 10:38am
post #12 of 19

Hi All,
I just really got into cake decorating, and I have absolutely fallen in love with Indydebi's recipe. I just used it like 2 days ago, and I have my cake in the fridge right now and my icing is still "super soft". I wonder what happened??? I have made it at least 3 times now and even when leaving it out, it still doesn't get hard. It is pretty humid on the island I live on though, so maybe that's why mine doesn't get hard.

Great recipe Indydebi, and sorry I can't be of more help lolo, but I think you should really give it another shot because it is an awesome recipe, eventhough I don't have a KA or bowl mixer, and it takes me about 2-3 hours to mix a good batch by hand, it is sooooooooo worth it!!! I hope everything works out for your next try!!!

Ashley

ziggytarheel Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:35am
post #13 of 19

I've only seen an icing do this when a cake was left out, uncovered, for a very, very long time. My other thought was did it bake in the sun perhaps?

lolobell Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 2:07pm
post #14 of 19

I really appreciate all the advice and comments. I'm in Michigan and it has been a terribly cold winter so far........zip humidity.
The cake was not covered properly for a bit but not tooo long at all. I didn't put it in the frig at all after decorating so I'm at a total loss. I will take all of your advice (which never failed me before) and give it another whirl. My nephew's cake is coming up so that will be the test.
I did make the icing a day in advance...would that make a difference. i had it stored in a tupperware container on the counter?

Thank goodness for all of you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks so much again.
The funniest part was my 2 year old. It never fails when I finish a cake I leave it just close enough to the edge of the counter where she tabs her finger into it. This time she wanted "up" to see it and she of course reached to touch it....when she did she looked at me and said, "oh, Mommy, that hurt, that's not soft that's hard." I knew I was in trouble then!!

moxey2000 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 2:28pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niquie

Hi All,
I just really got into cake decorating, and I have absolutely fallen in love with Indydebi's recipe. I just used it like 2 days ago, and I have my cake in the fridge right now and my icing is still "super soft". I wonder what happened??? I have made it at least 3 times now and even when leaving it out, it still doesn't get hard. It is pretty humid on the island I live on though, so maybe that's why mine doesn't get hard.

Great recipe Indydebi, and sorry I can't be of more help lolo, but I think you should really give it another shot because it is an awesome recipe, eventhough I don't have a KA or bowl mixer, and it takes me about 2-3 hours to mix a good batch by hand, it is sooooooooo worth it!!! I hope everything works out for your next try!!!

Ashley

OMGosh, I can't believe you mix icing by hand! You must have very strong arms! I have found that if I add just a little bit too much milk it will not crust. I add my 1/2 cup of milk and mix for awhile and then add more by the teaspoon only, otherwise I will get too much.

I live on an island, too. Where do you live?

ziggytarheel Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 3:49pm
post #16 of 19

I had one more thought...just throwing out there all the possibilities I can think of! Is it possible that your Crisco was old/rancid? That you used powdered sugar that was not "pure cane"?

Still tryin'!

lolobell Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 3:54pm
post #17 of 19

Thanks for the continued efforts! Crisco was brand new and I use Domino's brand PS....says pure cane on the bag. OH boy, what a mystery eh?
I still feel quite embarrassed about the cake yesterday....the looks on people's faces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well, it's done now and thank goodness it was all family!!! Just the "clunk" sound as the frosting hit the plate is sticking with me!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm cracking up as I write this because the look on my nephews face was the best of all. He looked up slowly and said, "uh, Aunt Marianne, how old is this cake?" HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!

Again, thanks and keep the ideas, advice or comments coming!!!

kakeladi Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 4:53pm
post #18 of 19

Since I have never made Debi's icing maybe I shouldn't say anything icon_smile.gif
But........your last post confirms what I have been thinking while reading this from the start.........not enough fat.
I would try adding a bit more Crisco -- that is if nothing else helps. It really sounds like just a fluke and I bet the next time you make it everything will be fine but just in case there is still trouble try my suggestion.
JMHO icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:54pm
post #19 of 19

I make indydebi's icing all the time (it's the only recipe I use) and it's always soft and creamy. I leave it sit on the counter (in tupperware) for a couple of weeks and it's still fine. I'd give it another try and see if it was just a flike.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%