Still Struggling On Getting Cakes Smooth =[[

Decorating By sunkiss456 Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 10:57pm by sugarshack

sunkiss456 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 9

I am just wondering how everyone manages to have these perfectly smooth cakes here. I have tried this so many times and still struggle. My last cake has been the smoothest cake yet and it wasn't the greatest. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

8 replies
kakeladi Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 9

What icing are you using? B'cream or fondant or IMBC or what? Helpful hints will depend greatly on which one you use.

Part of getting a nice smooth b'cream is to have the right recipeicon_smile.gif Have you tried using SugarShack's?
And as you said, part of it is practice, practice, practiceicon_smile.gif

KathysCC Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 9

Welcome to Cake Central! Try searching the forums here. There is loads of information on smoothing buttercream. My tricks are a hot knife and Viva paper towels. Also, check out the cake decorating articles.

tonedna has some youtube videos that helped me a lot. Here is a link to her profile so you can see her cakes, website and videos.

sugarshack has a wonderful DVD that also helped me tremendously with smoothing. Here is the link to her profile.

Keep practicing, you can do it!! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 9

Agreed! There are also various methods depending on what kind of buttercream you are using. If your buttercream is crusting there is the Melvira method or the Viva paper towel/fondant smoother method. If the buttercream is creamy there is the hot knife method. It all depends. What kind of buttercream are you using?

indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 9

Crusting BC .... Melvira method .... smooth icing EVERY time.

you'll never go back to any other way of doing it.

sunkiss456 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:13am
post #6 of 9

Hi ladies, I got a bc recipe from a lady on youtube, seriouscakes. I use shortening, butter, vanilla, confectioners sugar, heavy cream and corn syrup. She had a video on how to smooth with viva but it sticks a little when I try and smooth it. Maybe I just didn't give it long enough to crust before i tried smoothing. I get impatient icon_redface.gif lol

sugarshack Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:45am
post #7 of 9

here is my recipe and tips:

PS. If the viva is stcicking you need to:

1) wait a bit longer
2) us a bit less fat and/or liquid
3) check the humidity of your room.

sunkiss456 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 9

sugarshack, does your icing still hold up well for piping as well? I have trouble sometimes when trying to pipe because either it's too stiff or too creamy.

sugarshack Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:57pm
post #9 of 9

it pipes perfectyl for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%