Still Struggling On Getting Cakes Smooth =[[

Decorating By sunkiss456 Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 10:57pm by sugarshack

sunkiss456 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunkiss456 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 9

I am just wondering how everyone manages to have these perfectly smooth cakes here. I have tried this so many times and still struggle. My last cake has been the smoothest cake yet and it wasn't the greatest. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 9

What icing are you using? B'cream or fondant or IMBC or what? Helpful hints will depend greatly on which one you use.

Part of getting a nice smooth b'cream is to have the right recipeicon_smile.gif Have you tried using SugarShack's?
And as you said, part of it is practice, practice, practiceicon_smile.gif

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 9

Welcome to Cake Central! Try searching the forums here. There is loads of information on smoothing buttercream. My tricks are a hot knife and Viva paper towels. Also, check out the cake decorating articles.

tonedna has some youtube videos that helped me a lot. Here is a link to her profile so you can see her cakes, website and videos.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=profile&mode=viewprofile&u=441093

sugarshack has a wonderful DVD that also helped me tremendously with smoothing. Here is the link to her profile.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forum-userprofile-137.html

Keep practicing, you can do it!! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 9

Agreed! There are also various methods depending on what kind of buttercream you are using. If your buttercream is crusting there is the Melvira method or the Viva paper towel/fondant smoother method. If the buttercream is creamy there is the hot knife method. It all depends. What kind of buttercream are you using?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 9

Crusting BC .... Melvira method .... smooth icing EVERY time.

you'll never go back to any other way of doing it.

sunkiss456 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:13am
post #6 of 9

Hi ladies, I got a bc recipe from a lady on youtube, seriouscakes. I use shortening, butter, vanilla, confectioners sugar, heavy cream and corn syrup. She had a video on how to smooth with viva but it sticks a little when I try and smooth it. Maybe I just didn't give it long enough to crust before i tried smoothing. I get impatient icon_redface.gif lol

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:45am
post #7 of 9

here is my recipe and tips:

PS. If the viva is stcicking you need to:

1) wait a bit longer
2) us a bit less fat and/or liquid
3) check the humidity of your room.

HTH

sunkiss456 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 9

sugarshack, does your icing still hold up well for piping as well? I have trouble sometimes when trying to pipe because either it's too stiff or too creamy.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:57pm
post #9 of 9

it pipes perfectyl for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%