Help...son Turning 14 And Need A Cake Idea!

Decorating By kdehtan Updated 4 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm by KrissieCakes

kdehtan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdehtan Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 9

HELP!! My son is turning 14 on Tuesday and I have NO IDEA what kind of cake to make him!!. This age is so hard for boys! Of course he likes sports, but I do some type of "sports related cake" EVERY year for him.

Any ideas or suggestions?!

He isn't having a party, just a small family gathering, so I would prefer something fairly small and simple.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Kdehtan

8 replies
KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 9

What else is he into? Music - an ipod cake? Video games - xbox, or whatever system he likes?

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 9

does he have a favorite video game? you can do an playstation or xbox. What about computer or cell phone themed? Is he into music? It would really help to know what hes into. Does he have a favorite tv show or movie? There are endless possibilities.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 9

lol i just saw krissiecakes post (after i already posted mine) and i guess the suggestions we both had are the general boys type of cakes.

kdehtan Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the replies. He doesn't watch much TV or really have a favorite movie. He did get an XBox 360 for Christmas, so maybe I will do that. He just isn't into much besides sports, his cell phone, and video games.

I guess a cell phone or an XBox would be cool.

Thanks!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 9

Oooohhhhh I just dumped a whole bunch of pix I had collected off the internet that might have helped youicon_sad.gif

How about going 'funky' or 'mod' - do you have an airbrush?
Use different fonts to make the letters to his name in bubble form then add some gp stars? If you have an airbrush you can vary color the background. (There are a couple of examples of this in my photo gallery). http://cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10037/thumb_sirburshed_squar
e_bday.jpg

Does he like bugs? http://cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10037/thumb_bday_bugs_
sheet.jpg
Or just go generic: http://cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10037/thumb_circles_mans_
bday.jpg

KrissieCakes Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 9

Just thought of something else...anywhere that he really wants to travel to? I just saw a really cool Whimsical Bakehouse cake that was styled after New York City. Have you seen their cakes? Or have the cookbook? they have some really neat cakes that don't really have a theme that might be cool for him.

kdehtan Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 6:24pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for the ideas!! I wish I had an Airbrush...that would have been PERFECT because he likes the Airbrush paint shirts. I need to get one!!

KrissieCakes Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 9

You could try the Wilton spray cans! Not exactly the same, but you could get a similar look. They produce a pretty wide mist though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%