Going Fondant Tool Shopping. Help?

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 5 Jan 2009 , 4:16pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:26am
post #1 of 6

I'm gonna be going to the big city in a couple of weeks and I will go to a place where they sell fondant tools. I was thinking of buying smoothers because I need those.

Can you guys suggest what else I would need? Just pretty basic stuff. They mostly have Wilton stuff, I know it's not the best but it'll have to do.

Thanks guys! Happy New Year!

5 replies
peg818 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 6

you need a good rolling pin, and i would suggest a mat for rolling it out on A piece of heavy duty vinyl works well, usually found in the fabric department. Make sure they roll it not fold it. A pizza cutter for cutting the paste.

lizamlin Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 6

Do NOT worry about 'not the best' just because of brand names -- I have found that I often get fantastic stuff for MUCH le$$ when I think creatively and re-purpose tools for other trades OR just look elsewhere for the same things! In ( ) I list where I found and $ if I remember LOL.

a weighted rolling pin (Target $15)
a ruled rotary cutting mat (sewing store; for quilting 3ftx2ft, sale for $20)
a rotary cutter (sewing store)
quilting ruler, see-through 2inx18in with 1/8 in. increments (sewing store)
exacto knife
food safe snug gloves for mixing colors into fondant (Sam's)
for uniform bead making: clay* bead making tool

Cake store;
2 smoothers
small fondant cutout (like very small cookie cutters);
circles, squares, diamonds, etc...
lustre dusts
cake divider mat (plastic circle marked for equal increments)
edible markers

don't bother:
flower former-use a paper towel cut in half covered w plastic wrap
RibbonCutterandEmbosserSet-I HATE mine-I use sewing ruler and rotary cutter instead

uh-oh...think I'm getting the fondant bug again! LOL time to make a cake icon_smile.gif

At the craft store, spend a good deal of time in the CLAY aisle - amazing & fun tools great for fondant icon_smile.gif

mamacc Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 6

I use a lot of quilting supplies too. I love the rulers and the cutting mat. I use these almost every cake....

I like the FMM (?) adjustable strip cutter...it actually works, unlike the wilton one. Other tools that I use a lot are the extruder, letter cutters, basic shaped cutters(ateco has great sets), small celpin, smaller sized rotary cutter, and I love that little stitching wheel too.

FeGe_Cakes Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:17am
post #5 of 6

I like the Wilton Embosser for doing stiches. But that's it. Doesn't cut worth a DARN. Everything lizamlin suggested are great ideas.

I often look at the scrapbooking and clay sections at the craft store for neat tools.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 6

ohhh! clay stuff sounds great! I'll check those out too. I'll be going to the Mall of Asia, the third largest (I think) in the world so I hope to find some cool stuff there.

Thanks guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%