Using Rice Crispy Treats For Sculptured Pieces

Decorating By MsPJ Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 9:01am by anabelz01

MsPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsPJ Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:21am
post #1 of 21

Has anyone ever tried this? I'm thinking that the treats would need extra marshmallow so that you can manipulate the sculpture. Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

20 replies
melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:27am
post #2 of 21

if you look in my photos at the tilapia fish and the skull cakes, they both used rkt from the grocery store (premade) and they worked well. i bought them to save time...just compressed them a little and carved where i needed.

coffeechick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeechick Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:30am
post #3 of 21

i use rice krispies for a lot of my work that needs a sculpture. I use the recipe on the back of the rice krispie box or buy premade ones. No need to add extra marshmallow. It holds up just fine, I make sure I compact really well.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:39am
post #4 of 21

i used RCT often. i melt a bag of MM in the micro then add the rice crispies, just keep adding them until you can't stir anymore in the bowl. oh, and i leave out the butter since they usually are not going to be eaten.

MsPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsPJ Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:42am
post #5 of 21

Thanks for the replies. So my next question is what do you use to cover your sculpture with before adding fondant?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:46am
post #6 of 21

I use a little more rkt than the recipe calls for and crush them a bit.

Leave out the butter because it can make them too soft (not hold their shape). But you can add butter flavor if it will be eaten - cushed rkts seem to make them more bite friendly.

Lastly, after you've sculpted your piece (pack it together firmly) place it the freezer for a while to firm it up faster. Nothing is worse than a finished piece that sags on you and ruins your day.

lalakanosho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lalakanosho Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:50am
post #7 of 21

I also leave out the butter. Anyway, if you look at my pics I made humpty dumpty, and part of the couch on another cake using RK and it works really well, you just have to let it come to room temp and set, if you try to mold it while its warm thinking that it might save you a step think again. It just turns into a hot mess. Good luck!

mom2rascals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2rascals Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 6:01am
post #8 of 21

Can you just cover it as is, or does the fondant need something else to adhere to . . . like buttercream?

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 6:11am
post #9 of 21

One of the very first cakes I did was a princess castle (posted here). the towers were from rkt. I made them according to the box and really packed it. then I just iced it with BC. But I guess if you were to cover them with fondant, you'd might need to use som BC as glue. Good luck!!!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 6:25am
post #10 of 21

i usually use smbc to smooth the surface and chill well before i cover with fondant.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:20pm
post #11 of 21

Yes, definately ice with bc before you cover with fondant. a nice smooth surface makes for nice smooth fondant.. icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 5:12pm
post #12 of 21

I don't cover mine. Crushing the RKTs makes the surface smoother and a thicker roll of fondant hides any flaw.

erikamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erikamj Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 10:59pm
post #13 of 21

I have covered mine with BC as well as melted chocolate.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 11:07pm
post #14 of 21

Boy am I learning a lot in this thread -- I've never used Rice Krispy treats for sculpting before (although I know all kinds of people who do.) Thanks for posting this thread!! icon_biggrin.gif

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 11:16pm
post #15 of 21

I smooth the surface with buttercream or royal. If I want a very stiff RKT, then I use royal. Otherwish I use a crusting buttercream. Smooth with a paper towel, then cover with fondant.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 11:17pm
post #16 of 21

You can use melted white chocolate too to make a smooth surface.. and then fondant..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

SarahsSweets2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahsSweets2006 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:39pm
post #17 of 21

Hmmmmm.... I am finishing up a cake tonight that I need fondant- covered RCT. So many great suggestions... I have both BC and Candy melts on hand. I am not sure which one I want to use to cover my store bought RCT. For my Xbox cake, I used RCT for the game controller and it turned out so lumpy and bumpy... I really wasn't happy with it but I didn't use anything to cover it before putting fondant on it. Soooo... I think I am going to try the BC idea and cover with fondant and IF it doesn't work out, maybe try the other idea and gobble up the mistake! Haha. Thanks for everyone's help!

anabelz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anabelz01 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:57pm
post #18 of 21

Hi all.... how long would something scupted in RKT (and covered in fondant) last? It may be a silly question but I would want to make sure they don't go soft or something and its a medium I am considering using for a birthday cake I have coming up where it would be sooo useful to be able to get some of it done in advance! I hope this makes sense! icon_biggrin.gif

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 7:30pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

I use a little more rkt than the recipe calls for and crush them a bit.

Leave out the butter because it can make them too soft (not hold their shape).

I just made a mushroom out of rkt yesterday. I did use butter...about 1 TBS,I added 3/4 of a bag of jumbo marshmallows, i also crushed the cereal in a bag with a rolling pin...i used about 3 cups. The mushroom came out great, it wasn't too soft...in fact, my husband said it looked hard...it wasn't, it was very edible!

SeeChicletRun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeeChicletRun Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 8:22pm
post #20 of 21

re: how long they last covered in fondant. When I did my Lady and the Tramp cake (in my gallery) my kids ate the RKT for days and days lol! And they were SO good right up until the last nibble. The almond buttercream under the fondant on the RKT was just TDF.

anabelz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anabelz01 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 9:01am
post #21 of 21

Thanks SeeChicletRun for the info much appreciated! I've not used RKT before but am looking forward to my first go with them! Have a little mermaid cake coming up and wanna do a large rock using the RKT! Cheers icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%