Please Help With Stacked Cake Construction! Much Appreciated

Decorating By Jeannie21 Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 4:24am by sugarshack

Jeannie21 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:06am
post #1 of 9

HI all! Im new to the site and I wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questons. My name is Jeannie, I live in Kansas and I'm still fairly new to cake decorating (a few months). But I know that I will be doing it forever because I enjoy both decorating them and seeing the faces of friends etc... when they see them icon_lol.gif
Anyway, Im so excited because I finally recieved my pan set I have been waiting for! (I didnt have a nice graduated sized set) and they are 3 inches deep and the sizes are 6, 10 and 14.
So my questions are : Is this set a good standard pan set?
Do I need to use a heating core to cook the cakes in them?(or a flower nail)
For a nice stacked cake would I bake 2 of each size for each cake tier, or do most of you just stick with one?
And lastly, I have never done a stacked cake before(Im so excited!) and I was wondering what the best method of construction is? Do i use dowels or the plastic wilton cores? Do i need cake circles? and If you have a link to HOW to properly consruct a stacked cake I would greatly appreciate it.
Im so sorry if this is alot of questions but I would really like to do this right! And thank you in advance, I love CC and all the tips and inspirations I get on here!! icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
liapsim Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:24am
post #2 of 9

Hi Jeannie and welcome! Sounds like a good pan set....you might want to throw in a set of 8" as well. I assume they are round...are you wanting to do square or oval too? The same measurements are a good idea as well.

I use a flower nail to put in the center...heating cores tend to be a pain!!!

I use 2 of each tier when doing a stacked cake....especially wedding cakes.

And lastly, icon_smile.gif , I think a lot of the pros on here use the SPS system...Leahs can help you out with that one. I use the Wilton plastic hollow dowels for large stacked cakes with cake circles... and then bubble tea straws for smaller stacked cakes with cake circles. I can't afford the SPS system (I'm not a large baker) and so it isn't cost efficient for me.

Good luck...hopefully others can give you some more useful advice!

brannendeville Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:29am
post #3 of 9

What are large bubble tea straws?

traci Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:36am
post #4 of 9

I like the 3 inch deep pans...but lately have been doing most of my cakes with 2 2 inch deep pans put together to make a 4 inch high cake.

I would probably just bake 1 tier of the 3 inch high...otherwise you will have very tall tiers at 6 inches high.

I fill my pans 2/3 full of batter and use a greased flower nail in the center as these pans will take a lot longer to cook.

I like to put each tier on a separate cardboard and then dowel with wooden or plastic dowel rods and stack. I like to use a lot of dowels to make sure I support well. You can kind of judge where they need to be place depending on the size on the cake that will be going on top.

liapsim Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:42am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by brannendeville

They are large straws that are used for tapioca pudding sometimes. you can buy them from....

http://www.bubbleteasupply.com/

But I get them on Ebay....3.99 for 150 straws....

They are really thick and heavy duty...usually about 6 inches long. Very stable!

step0nmi Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:46am
post #6 of 9

Welcome! Congrats on your new pans! it is always fun to get new stuff! icon_lol.gif

I like to use the 3" pans too...i only have a 8" one though. when I do mine I can add a little more batter into the pan to get a nice high layer..and i also use the inverted flower nail. I like to have both my layers on my cakes to be at least 1 1/2" high. so that way i get a nice tall 4" cake with the filling in between.

you would want to use a cake board underneath each cake...your bottom board for the bottom layer you may want to glue a couple together and then cover them.
If it's a small cake you can use just regular straws...you would want one for the center of the cake...and then press a circle into your cake of the size cake that's for the top onto the bottom cake...then put a straw every 2" inside the circle. i hope that makes sense icon_razz.gif if you are transporting assembled you will want to sharpen a wooden dowel and then lightly hammer it through both cakes.

well, this is for a wedding cake but this lady does a nice job of showing how to stack a cake with wooden dowels.

Jeannie21 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:52am
post #7 of 9

Oh my gosh, thank you all for your answers!!! Im amazed at how helpful and welcoming everyone is icon_smile.gif ...Please keep the tips coming, Im wanting to learn anything and everything! Oh im sooo excited!!!

babeebk Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:26am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by liapsim

Quote:
Originally Posted by brannendeville

They are large straws that are used for tapioca pudding sometimes. you can buy them from....

http://www.bubbleteasupply.com/

But I get them on Ebay....3.99 for 150 straws....

They are really thick and heavy duty...usually about 6 inches long. Very stable!

that's a great price, what seller do you buy from?

sugarshack Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:24am
post #9 of 9

I use 2 layers for each tier. you need some kind of board under each tier. I use fomecore and bubble tea straws to stack. i use 6,9,12 more than any other pans, but you need and 8 and 10 too.. LOL

Have fun and welcome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%