Simple Syrup Help Please

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 5 Jan 2009 , 1:07am by Bethkay

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:04am
post #1 of 12

For those of you who brush your cakes w/ simple syrups, how do I do it? I'm thinking it's equal parts of sugar & water heated until the sugar dissolves. Then I'm lost. Do you brush it on one side of the cake? Both sides of the cake? How do I not brush on too much--so it won't be soggy? I've not baked my cake dry as a bone, but a little drier than I like. Can you guys help me out?

11 replies
Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:36am
post #3 of 12

Syrup Simple
(Suficiente para un bizcocho 8 x 4 redondo)

1 taza de agua
1/2 taza de azucar
1 cucharada de vainilla
1 cucharadita de almendra (opcional)
1/3 taza de brandy licor
1 cucharada de Amaretto licor

Puedes omitir el licor(es) si quieres.

Hierve el agua y le hechas el azucar hasta que disuelva. Dejalo hervir por unos minutos, como 10, realmente no me he fijado. Apaga el fuego y retira a un lado. Espera que este tibio y le hechas los licores. Cuando enfire, le hechas los extractos.

El bizocho se moja cuando este frio.

Yo lo mojo en esta manera para que no se rompa.

Pones la primer capa de 2 pulgadas, lo mojas con una brochita, lo rellenas (si lo vas a rellar), pones la otra capa, la mojas y entonces esperas como unos 10 minutos y le pones el frosting.

Esta receta la posteo alguien aqui en el foro en espanol de CC no recuerdo quien espero que te sirva.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:44am
post #4 of 12

I squirt it (yes, with a small tipped squirt bottle) on the top of each layer. You've got it correct - equal parts water and sugar boiled until clear, then cooled. You have to *really* soak it to get into trouble.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 3:04am
post #5 of 12

Thanks, about to give it a go

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 3:53am
post #6 of 12

Do you guys use simple syrup on every cake for added moisture or what? I've heard of the stuff, but thought the same thing as dandelion about the soggy part, so I never even bothered with trying it.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 6:46am
post #7 of 12

And you can look at my pp on wrapping a cake to retain moisture... Gosh, as mosit as it was, I would not WANT to add syrup...

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=612686&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

leah_s Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 12:33pm
post #8 of 12

Geez guys, you don't soak the cake with simple syrup. You're not making tres leches.

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 12:07am
post #9 of 12

How long can you keep it? How should i store it?

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:00am
post #10 of 12

I use simple syrup on all of my cakes. I usually just make a batch with one cup of water and one cup of sugar at a time, unless I have a lot of cakes on the schedule. I store the unused portion in the fridge. I really can't imagine it going bad-it's just sugar and water. Made in small batches, you will use it up pretty quickly, so I wouldn't worry about it getting bad. I brush mine on, so to keep crumbs out of the unused portion, I pour a small amount into a bowl before brushing it on the layers. HTH.

leah_s Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:03am
post #11 of 12

I make up anywhere from 3-6 cups of sugar plus equal parts of water. I store it in the fridge. Obviously I use a lot . . .

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:07am
post #12 of 12

I use simple syrup on all of my cakes. I usually just make a batch with one cup of water and one cup of sugar at a time, unless I have a lot of cakes on the schedule. I store the unused portion in the fridge. I really can't imagine it going bad-it's just sugar and water. Made in small batches, you will use it up pretty quickly, so I wouldn't worry about it getting bad. I brush mine on, so to keep crumbs out of the unused portion, I pour a small amount into a bowl before brushing it on the layers. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%