3D/carved Cake Pricing?

Business By mama5kiddos Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 2:39am by TooMuchCake

mama5kiddos Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 12:19am
post #1 of 23

Currently I am charging about $2.50 for a basic round/square party/wedding cake. Decorations on top of that are easy for me to figure out. However, I have come across my first 3D cake order, and am having a hard time figuring out how much to charge.

They would like a cake similar to this one in the link below, with a logo on the cap. Done in all buttercream frosting only, no fondant work (and no stars). To serve approx 15-20ppl. How much would you charge for a cake like this? I am thinking of about the $80 range?

TIA!

http://blog.pinkcakebox.com/baseball-hat-birthday-cake-2007-10-07.htm

22 replies
kayla1505 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 12:41am
post #2 of 23

the link doesnt work, so i couldnt see the pic. Im not that good at chargeing but ive heard many people say carved cakes should start at $5 a serving

hope it helps

mama5kiddos Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:27am
post #3 of 23

Okay, I have since edited the original link to the cake pic, so you can see the one specifically I was talking about. Thanks in advance for your help!

cambo Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:30am
post #4 of 23

My 3D pricing starts at $4/serving, and depending on the complexity, goes up from there. I would consider this an easier "shaped" cake to make. You could use 1/2 of the sports ball pan for the cap...on top of 8" 2-layer rounds. No real 3D carving, just some slight carving on the outside of the 2-layer cake to angle the sides! Since you're carving away some of the 2-layer cake, you could bump it up to 10" rounds to ensure enough servings. I think $80 is fair for this cake....that's about what I could get for it in my area!

cambo Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:34am
post #5 of 23

You know....I just re-read my post and I want to apologize for sounding a little "snarky" with my "I would consider this an easier cake to make" comment....that came out all wrong! I'm truly sorry and meant nothing by it! GEEZ.....I need to review my posts before I submit them!

Good luck with the cake!

TooMuchCake Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:42am
post #6 of 23

I start at $5/serving, but sometimes charge more, depending on the situation.

Deanna

Sweet_Guys Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:52am
post #7 of 23

Some people don't do a per person charge; rather, they charge for the number of servings for the cake that is baked and needed BEFORE the carving takes place. As an example, if your rate is $2.50 per person and you bake a cake that will feed the 20 but yet it serves 40, then charge 40 X $2.50 or $100.

HTH

Paul & Peter

Sweet_Guys Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:54am
post #8 of 23

I now understand what Cambo meant in another post about re-reading before hitting send. In my first statement saying "some people don't charge a per person rate", my intention was that some people don't increae the per serving rate just because it's a carved cake. They simply charge for the cake that the originally uncarved cake COULD have served.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Paul

cambo Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 5:48am
post #9 of 23

Paul,
I know exactly what you mean! Some of my customers just don't get it....so I stopped explaining to them that although they need a cake that feeds 20, I had to "start" with a cake that fed 40 BEFORE I started to carved it down! So, I just factor all that in! VERY good point!

FromScratch Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 6:29am
post #10 of 23

Carved cakes require a higher price.. #1 they are more work.. #2 like Paul said you have wasted cake. I start 3-D cakes at $250 and I require fondant, though I wouldn't charge that for this particular lil'beauty. It's not really carved too much. Like Cambo said you can use the sports ball pan for the body of the hat. The topsy turvy cake on the bottom is pretty basic. What I do I charge my normal #of servings.. but a higher price. So say it's a 10" round. A normal 10" round serves 35 and I'd charge $5/serving. For the whimsy look I make it 6" tall which add's 50% more cake.. but to get the shape you are carving off the servings you are adding so you are left with 35 servings still. So to compensate and make for easy math (not confused customers).. I charge $7/serving for whimsy shaped cakes.

I'd charge $7/serving for the cake. It'll compensate me for the carving and the building of the hat brim. Now you don't have to charge what I do, but the pricing should follow the same thought process. So add about 50% of your base price to your per serving price and you should be okay for your business.

cakesbydina Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 7:22pm
post #11 of 23

I do scultped cakes as well and I am a little confused as to how I would figure out the total servings of the carved cake. For example I am making a purse cake using a sheet cake. I carve and carve until my desired shape is achieved. How do I know how many servings are left?

cakesbydina Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 7:25pm
post #12 of 23

I do scultped cakes as well and I am a little confused as to how I would figure out the total servings of the carved cake. For example I am making a purse cake using a sheet cake. I carve and carve until my desired shape is achieved. How do I know how many servings are left?

TooMuchCake Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 7:41pm
post #13 of 23

4littlewops, it comes with practice. I know that doesn't help you much, but it's true. I've been doing it a while, and when a customer says they need, for example, a dog that feeds 12 people I know what to do right away. It helps if you start with cakes that are as close as possible to the size of the finished carving. You can go to my website at www.cakedalaska.com and see some of the cake sizes I start out with and how much I lose when I carve. The diaper bag cake, for instance, lost almost no cake to carving. Same thing for the monkey cake, except for having to carve down the sports ball pan for the head. You start to learn where to use scraps to make up part of the shape of the carving, too.

But for a rule of thumb, for someone who's just starting out (and I know you're not new to this) I would say they can expect to lose half of their cake to off-cuts. As beginners get better at estimating and planning ahead, they'll lose less.

Did that help any?
Deanna

cakesbydina Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 8:07pm
post #14 of 23

yes, this helps. You are awesome to put free tutorials on your website. I will take a look at them when I get a chance. I would love to know the content of your dvd as well. What sculpted cakes do you cover on it?

Your work is amazing

Dina

TooMuchCake Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 8:56pm
post #15 of 23

Thanks, Dina. icon_smile.gif

I'll PM you about the dvd. You can see the two main cakes that I make on it by following the link in my sig line. There are some additional photos at the end of the dvd lesson that show you can make a rabbit, cat or teddy bear with the same template and instructions that I used for the dog and lion.

Deanna

cambo Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 2:49am
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Carved cakes require a higher price.. #1 they are more work.. #2 like Paul said you have wasted cake. I start 3-D cakes at $250 and I require fondant, though I wouldn't charge that for this particular lil'beauty. It's not really carved too much. Like Cambo said you can use the sports ball pan for the body of the hat. The topsy turvy cake on the bottom is pretty basic. What I do I charge my normal #of servings.. but a higher price. So say it's a 10" round. A normal 10" round serves 35 and I'd charge $5/serving. For the whimsy look I make it 6" tall which add's 50% more cake.. but to get the shape you are carving off the servings you are adding so you are left with 35 servings still. So to compensate and make for easy math (not confused customers).. I charge $7/serving for whimsy shaped cakes.

I'd charge $7/serving for the cake. It'll compensate me for the carving and the building of the hat brim. Now you don't have to charge what I do, but the pricing should follow the same thought process. So add about 50% of your base price to your per serving price and you should be okay for your business.

Excellent explanation, Jeanne!

Teresa196685 Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 4:30am
post #17 of 23

Deanna, I am so very impressed with your website. Thank you so much for your willingness to help those of us who have just started in this business. I have a passion for designing cakes but I dont know all I need to know, and probably never will but its great to know that you can gleen some knowledge from someone that does such nice work. My email address is [email protected] I wasn't able for some reason to see the dvd info so if you would please send me some info about this. Thanks again.
Teresa icon_smile.gif

TooMuchCake Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 3:15pm
post #18 of 23

Teresa, I'll PM you. Sorry for the delay, but I couldn't get on the site for the last couple days.

Deanna

Monkess Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 8:28pm
post #19 of 23

Deanna
Loved the website; apparently from my name you can guess which cake i loved- thats right the monkey-she is lovely....the dvd is very tempting too....I dont do too many carved cakes but still it is handy to learn cool stuff....great work, very inspirational!

Teresa196685 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:22pm
post #20 of 23

icon_biggrin.gif Thanks the pm! I just got back in town and plan to get right on learning more from you thanks. I will be ordering to dvd soon. thumbs_up.gif

TooMuchCake Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:46pm
post #21 of 23

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Deanna

mama5kiddos Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:05am
post #22 of 23

I have finished my version of the cake (buttercream only), and it is posted in my photos if you are interested!

TooMuchCake Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 2:39am
post #23 of 23

It looks great!

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%