How Do I Make Those Swirly Wires On Top Of The Cake Smooth?

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 8:24pm by melysa

mom2spunkynbug Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 7

I'm working on some cakes for a wedding expo for TOMORROW! I've got some wire that I was going to put on top of one of the cakes (kind of like how Duff has done some of his cakes) know, swirly wires with fondant balls on them.

Well, I tried "swirling" the wire, and it doesn't come out perfectly smooth and round icon_confused.gif I've wrapped it around a water bottle, but I can't make it small swirls at the end, going to larger swirls where it will be placed into the cake, know what I mean?

How do I do this?

Thanks in advance, I'll be checking back later!!!

6 replies
bizatchgirl Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 7

I haven't tried this but I have a thought...what kind of wire are you using? I know I have used floral wire for little fondant stars. That wire is way too strong to bend. What if you try something like jewelry wire that is made to flex?

mom2spunkynbug Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the idea - I'm using floral wire (the strong, silver wire)

melysa Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 7

depending on the weight of your fondant decorations, try 18-26 gage craft wire. walmart sells it for 2-3 dollars a spool in the craft aisle. its been awhile since i've used it but i think i remember the larger the gage, the thinner the wire.

when i'd make my swirls, i cut a large piece, you'll need to wrap it around an object... wrap it around something smaller then you want the swirl to be because it will stretch out as you slide your hand down the wire. take it from one end with both hands and quickly slide one hand outward, that creates a fluid looking swirl. if you try to bend it a little here and there it will look choppy.

cambo Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 7

I've used wire several times (florist wire) for fondant balls and decorations. Use an "object" to wrap/bend the wire a fondant roller for smaller/tighter curly q's or a can of crisco or can of vegetables for a taller wire with slight "taper" to it! I use whatever I have handy! It will result in a very smoothly bent wire!

To tighten the curliness on the ends....try wrapping it around a pen/pencil!

Quote by @%username% on %date%