Wedding Cake Question..where The Heck Do I Find This??

Decorating By tarheelgirl Updated 4 Jan 2009 , 1:38am by terrylee

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 24

I have a bride that wants pricing on this cake. It does not look TOO complicated but where the heck do you find all the pieces?? This is only my 2nd wedding cake so I have a price per serving set but I need to add pricing for all this equipment. It also has silk flowers too. AND I have never put cakes on pillars before only stacked. She wants the fountain under the cake to have blue water also. The roses are going to be light blue. How do you guys go about collecting all the equipment back? I know some of this stuff is disposable but some is not!

23 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 24

Oh good grief....good luck! I think those are kits from Wilton maybe...and wow...I don't know. I hope someone can help you!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 24

Yes Wilton should have all those pieces....the fountain, stairs and figures. But you can check other sites too......globalsugarart, intothe oven, country kitchen sweet art,

I charge a deposit for my equipment, that is returnable when all the parts get back... be sure the deposit covers the of cost to replace any and all lthe equipment used.

Those clear pillers go right thru the cake and rest on the cake board. there are several forums on stacking cakes. Check them out..

Good luck.....you can do it....

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 24

Go to wilton . com and look in their wedding section, it is all there! Good luck.

tarheelgirl Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 24

I know.. would you say over the top or what?? icon_biggrin.gif I believe that LESS is MORE but some people.. LOL

I thought Wilton would have it or at least I have seen this stuff in their books from 10 years ago! icon_redface.gif I will definitely check out the other sites though thumbs_up.gif

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 24

I get an order for this type of cake about once a year. I do not charge extra for the plates, pillars and stairs. I do charge a rental charge on the fountain, usually $25.00. I DO ask for a hardware deposit and it's usually based on replacement cost. For what I see in your picture, I would ask for a deposit of about $150.00. Generally, I tell the bride that she is responsible for getting everything back to me within ONE week of the reception. If it is all in tact and clean, then I hand her back her deposit check.

As far as where to get all this hardware? You can get similar pillars, plates, stairs and fountain from Wilton. Go onto their website www.wilton.com
Once there click on the following in order: Wilton Home : Online Store : Wedding Shop : Cake Display & Assembly

AFter you have clicked on the final Cake Display & Assembly link, you are given a few categories to look at. There you will find everything you need. Now, there are other companies that sell the same type of hardware, it just looks a bit different. You have to decide what you want to buy.

IF you have a Michael's or a JoAnn's in your area then you can pick some of this there. ALSO, if you have a local cake decorating store, they can help you with obtaining this stuff too.

I live in a larger Metropolitan area where I have several local cake decorating shops that rent the fountain and the largest plate and pillar. If you have this as well in your area, call them and find out how much they charge. If you rent, you charge the bride for that and you make sure you do a true replacement cost deposit to cover your butt if the bride returns the rental equipment in disrepair.

I hope I've covered your concerns.

Gayle
SE MI

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 24

Not my taste at all, and if this isn't the kind of cake you generally want to do, then I would add ALL the cost of those plastic dodads on top of your normal price as you are unlikely to (want!) to use them again! Do charge a deposit to get them back though if you do want them definitely returned. I recently did a Cinderella castle wedding cake and the castle was made using a cutter kit that cost me £50 (used to be $100 exchange rate), so the B&G definitely paid for that lol!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 24

Wilton will have all that stuff... wow, I haven't used any of those pieces in years.. all packed away in the attic with that tuk-n-ruffle.. icon_smile.gif I remember doing a fountain with tinted water once.. and only once.. it splatters everywhere, and made a mess on the tablecloth, flowers, and cake.... u-g-l-y mess.... icon_sad.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:18pm
post #9 of 24

Holy cow....I didn't realize brides were still ordering cakes like that! Good luck in finding all the pieces...I'm sure they're still available! Be sure to post a picture of your finished cake!

tarheelgirl Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:23pm
post #10 of 24

WOW thanks maisyone2 for the links and info!

This is not my style either and I sure don't want to do this too often. I really don't want to fork out the money to have it all returned just because this is something I probably won't do again or too often. I will mention the blue water thing to her and how it will splash everywhere. We do have a party store in the area that rents tents and archways for weddings. I need to check with them to see if they have the fountain but then I will be responsible for returning it in one piece.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:23pm
post #11 of 24

If I remember right I have most, if not all of the plastics you need for that cake BUT......... I can't get to it until early in Feb. If interested pm me.

tarheelgirl Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:28pm
post #12 of 24

That would be great! The wedding is not until June and I still have not given her a price.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:37pm
post #13 of 24

I'm fully aware that not everyone likes the same sort of thing and what I think is beautiful someone else will hate,

but...

I think it's hideous!

Sorry.

terrylee Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:10pm
post #14 of 24

Another thought.....tinting the water.....sometimes it is a deferant rather than adding to the balance. I think in this case less is better....just plain clear water would be good. They do have rings that go on the fountain edges to make the water flow more smoothy.....

It is an old, tuck and ruffle thing......but sometime old is new again.....watch your color balance like I said above, sometime less is better.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:13pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

I'm fully aware that not everyone likes the same sort of thing and what I think is beautiful someone else will hate,

but...

I think it's hideous!

Sorry.

I couldn't agree more, actually to the point I would say no to such a request if I was asked to do one icon_eek.gifthumbs_up.gif

terrylee Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:20pm
post #16 of 24

I will try and attach a picture of a cake I did about 2 years ago...if not look in my photos.....

terrylee Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:22pm
post #17 of 24

Yipes I can't get it to post ...the picture is about 6 rows down, next to the puppies. Anyways....good luck......

tarheelgirl Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:26pm
post #18 of 24

I like your version with the fountain under it much better! thumbs_up.gif Do you rent the fountain or that is something you purchased and take a deposit on? I just priced the fountain and alone that thing is over $70. I just don't think I would use it enough to recoup my cost in it.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:47pm
post #19 of 24

a think a little bit of throw up just came up in my throat

<<<<GULP>>>

is this bride a small town girl with no access to bridal magazines, internet, or cable? i say this because i am one of those girls, originally from a small town in kentucky, and there are still cakes being ordered exactly like that to this day...i also must confess that i had a fountain under my cake, and was totally excited about it at the time!! icon_redface.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:50pm
post #20 of 24

Just a thought,

Maybe you can suggest to the bride, for her to rent the equipment, if you don't think you will ever use the equipment ever again, so she will be responsible for the cost,and the resbonsibility of returning the equipment. I know some of you think, that that is an ugly cake but I think it is Antique and maybe so does the bride, to each his own. LOL, Maybe she or her parents, are from another Country, Because in the West Indies, where I am from they stillmake cakes like that. (Just Saying)

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:53pm
post #21 of 24

I have a picture of a fountain/pillar/stairs cake in my pics too.

You know, it's not my favorite style of cake to do either, but when a bride or groom has their heart set on it, then I can't say no. It's their day and I always feel humbled and gracious when I can be a part of such a special day in their lives. (don't let that last comment lead you to believe I charge on the cheap....lol) And I truly only get this style request MAYBE once a year.

I am fortunate that I do own all the hardware to create this style of cake. I charge a rental fee for the fountain. The refundable hardware deposit includes the purchase price for a fountain, as well as the full cost of whatever plates, pillars and stairs.

If you can find a local cake decorating store that rents fountains, then that's the way to go. They might also rent the largest plates and pillars as a set. Call around.

If there is someone here on CC that is willing to loan, give or sell you the hardware they no longer use, that's very generous and worth considering.

OH....and as far as the fountain spitting water everywhere on the table.....I've had this happen when I didn't put enough water in the fountain for it to operate properly. I also have to agree that coloring the water can be a little much in the over-all look. I prefer to put greenery around the fountain...sometimes some small twinkle lights too.

I look forward to seeing your finished creation in June. I'm sure it will be beautiful and grand.

Gayle

tarheelgirl Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 7:16pm
post #22 of 24

Yes, this girl is from a small town. Like what was said before, its her day and if its what she wants then great! LOL I will check around to see if anyone can rent the fountain and let her rent it. That way I have no obligation to anything as far as that goes. That is alot of cake I seriously get the feeling she is looking for a bargain. I could be wrong but we shall see! You guys are great! Thanks for the ideas and input.

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 7:27pm
post #23 of 24

These cakes were the "bomb" when I first started doing wedding cakes and everyone wanted them! My how things change. I have all the pieces and have held onto them (they may come back)! Just a couple of tips if you do find everything--play with the fountain & color before you set it up for wedding to make sure it runs correctly & looks nice color wise. Put your water in "after" the cake is set up. One other thing I learned from "experience" be sure to have extra icing to glue your people onto the steps!! I forgot mine and luckily found oreos in the church kitchen. Used the centers which worked fine---I sometimes wonder if they realized a cookie theif was in their midst! icon_smile.gif

terrylee Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:38am
post #24 of 24

I don't know if you can rent them or not.....you will have to check around in your area.....some people "rent" them to the brides, plus a deposit...that's up to you. I know it's a large chunk of change.........

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%