February Panda Cake

Decorating By kimster Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 11:52pm by SHADDI

kimster Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 11

I'm fortunate enough to have a 12 year old step daughter who I have a wonderful relationship with. She is OBSESSED with pandas and her birthday is in February. So... she's so sweetly (with big doe eyes) asked for a panda cake...not a flat sheet cake carved. A panda sitting upright, sculpted and covered just like her favorite show... ACE OF CAKES.

I'm no Duff, or Jeff or any of those artists. BUT I think I may be capable.

Any suggestions or tips? How many layers of cake per cake board, center supports??? I really need the help of anyone who will offer it. TG I have til February icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
Monkess Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 11

How about using the sit up bear mould? Does it have to be a certain size/servings?

kimster Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 11

Nah, just for the family... and a good pic!

mamacc Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:50am
post #4 of 11

I usually prefer to carve my own shapes. Typically I do 2-4 layers of cake depending on the design. So, figure you'll need a board under the head, and then one more somewhere in the middle of the body. That middle board also helps to stabalize the whole cake when you drive a dowel(or 2) down thru all the layers into the base. It's a little easier to do a rice krispie head but it's possible to do cake too...a bear is an easier shape to do a cake head. The teddy bear wrapped in a blankie in my photos has a cake head if you want to see an example.

CookieMeister Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkess

How about using the sit up bear mould? Does it have to be a certain size/servings?

That's what I was thinking. That'd be smooth sailing.

SILVERCAT Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 2:59am
post #6 of 11

Here is a great tutorial for you! I am sure you can turn this monkey into a panda bear!
http://www.cakedalaska.com/Caked_Alaska/Monkey_see.html

kimster Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 2:05am
post #8 of 11

Thanks for all the help as always!

kimster Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 7:15pm
post #9 of 11

Well, due to hard economic times, we did a panda laying down, so there was no money spent on dowels etc.

Here's what we came up with.
LL

cakedivamommy Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 7:40pm
post #10 of 11

Your panda is adorable!

SHADDI Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 11:52pm
post #11 of 11

oh that's a great cake it's different so it makes it unique.....i like it a lot..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%