Make A Cake Silver?

Decorating By Kahuna Updated 5 Jan 2009 , 1:59pm by Kahuna

Kahuna Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 10

I have a request for a 4 tiered wedding cake in March, covered in fondant. They want the base color silver with black ribbons around it. Am I going to need an airbrush to do this? I can't see hand painting the whole thing, I'm worried that would be streaky. Any advice?? I really appreciate it! Thanks.

Sue

9 replies
sarahpierce Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 10

I made a silver cake by hand brushing it. It didn't streak too bad, but it wasn't a huge wedding cake either. I started with grey fondant, then brushed on silver luster dust mixed with vodka. Although I was going for a "metal" look. I guess I'm not much help icon_confused.gif , but maybe just experiment with some fondant. Hopefully someone else has more ideas.

7yyrt Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 10

I would be worried about streaks too. I think you will need an airbrush.

If you make your fondant a grayish blue or grayish lavender or just plain gray, you should have a better match between fondant and silver color that will make any streaks less noticeable.

Let me bump you, so that those who do this for a living can find you and answer you better.

amysue99 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 10

You could do gray fondant and just dry brush on the silver dust. That would eliminate streaks, but would give the silvery sheen. May have to do a few coats to get it really really shiny, but it should work ok.

jojo0676 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 10

"You could do gray fondant and just dry brush on the silver dust. That would eliminate streaks, but would give the silvery sheen. May have to do a few coats to get it really really shiny, but it should work ok."

I did this for a football helmet cake I did. It worked perfectly, no streaking at all. It definitely looked like the shiny silver of a helmet. Very easy to do too.

kakeladi Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 10

Silver (NuSilver) is NOT approved for eating. It should be used *only* on decorations that will be removed before consumption.

Kahuna Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for the tips everyone, I wouldn't even have thought of starting with grey fondant. Is there a dust I can use that is safe for eating? The only silver I have seen is the NuSivler icon_cry.gif I really appreciate everyone's help, trying to get a head start in case I have to order stuff.

Sue

7yyrt Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 10

Wouldn't this work?
---------
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=21862

Brilliant Silver Platinum Dust 2 gm by GSA
Product ID #21862

Brilliant Silver Platinum Dust by GSA. FDA approved for food. 2 grams.
Our Price $3.99 (In Stock)
----------
The dusts page - http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=961

dinas27 Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:31pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpierce

I made a silver cake by hand brushing it. It didn't streak too bad, but it wasn't a huge wedding cake either. I started with grey fondant, then brushed on silver luster dust mixed with vodka. Although I was going for a "metal" look. I guess I'm not much help icon_confused.gif , but maybe just experiment with some fondant. Hopefully someone else has more ideas.

this is exactly what I did. I made the mixture quite thick. Used wiltons silver luster dust. It did not streak very much- the key was to paint thickly once. Any where I tried to go back and touch up only made it worse but if you let it dry completely this shouldnt be a problem. I had very high humidity and wanted to keep the cake refridgerated. Photo is in my pics.

Kahuna Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:59pm
post #10 of 10

You guys are the best!! Thanks so much for all of the help. I'm definatelly going to have a few practice runs, and the good news is DH said I could get an airbrush if I needed to, woo hoo! Thanks again everyone!

Sue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%