Buttons

Decorating By grama_j Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 3:30pm by gscout73

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 12:21pm
post #1 of 6

I'm sure you have seen those wonderful baby shower cakes that have the clothesline with the cute baby clothes....... what I am looking for is the "buttons" that you use for the boarder..... are they a mold..... cutter....impression mat ...or what ? PLEASE don't tell me they are made FREEHAND !!

5 replies
showersfamily4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
showersfamily4 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 6

I've read that they are just flattened balls of fondant that you press a dowel into to make the indentation. Then you make two holes so it looks like a button. Maybe there is an easier way, but that's what I read somewhere.

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 12:50pm
post #3 of 6

I make them freehand. You cut out circle, press with a smaller circle to get the raised edge, and poke out holes with a number 3 or 5 tip.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:01pm
post #4 of 6

Oh, wow..... THANKS! That doesn't sound so hard !

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:18pm
post #5 of 6

I've seen these and how cute they are and have to say that I've avoided them.... icon_redface.gif But not that you all explained how they're made, well that makes it a whole different ballgame!! icon_lol.gif Thanks for asking this question grama!!! thumbs_up.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by showersfamily4

I've read that they are just flattened balls of fondant that you press a dowel into to make the indentation. Then you make two holes so it looks like a button. Maybe there is an easier way, but that's what I read somewhere.

This is exactly how I made mine on my duck cake. People thought I used real buttons.....uh-NO- choking hazard!! dunce.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%