Us Measurements - Help!

Decorating By brincess_b Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 11:20am by brincess_b

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 10:41am
post #1 of 4

i want to try and make Jibbies Chocolate Velvet Buttercream today (within a couple of hours, il be off to the shops to get the stuff), can anyone tell me how much a stick of butter actually is? and how do you measure 1 and a half cups of crisco? (if you can give me an actually weight, even better!
if anyone has made this recipie, does it have to be salted butter? all i have is unsalted butter, i dont want to buy salted unless the recipie uses it all! if it needs salt, can i just add a pinch to the pix?
thanks!
xx

3 replies
miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 10:55am
post #2 of 4

Ok, a stick of butter actually weighs about 113/114 grams, but most of the time when it is converted for recipes, 125 grams is used.

I've me a few minutes, I'll give you the weight of 1 1/2 cups crisco.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 11:18am
post #3 of 4

I've just weighed the Crisco, 1 1/2 cups weighed in at 278 grams.

Regarding the salt in the butter...salt will cut some of the sweetness of the powdered sugar. Usually just enough to keep it from being what might be referred to as "sickly" sweet. (A favorite additive to shortening based buttercream in the States is popcorn salt...it seems to cut the sweetness the best.) I don't see why you can't just add a bit of salt to the recipe.

I actually tried to determine how much salt is in a stick of butter. As you'll see from the link below, the answer is, "It depends!"

http://www.ochef.com/553.htm

Hope the recipe works for you!
Ann

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 11:20am
post #4 of 4

thank you so much for the help icon_smile.gif this is the first one i have tried from CC, so i hope i love it!
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%