Jungle Themed Cakes: Question

Decorating By klj0207 Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 6:03pm by glendaleAZ

klj0207 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 7:21am
post #1 of 6

I am THINKING about making a cake for my son's 1st birthday. I'm a little nervous about it since I've only taken a few classes. I've seen lots of cakes that have a 'stream' and palm trees. My question is what are they made out of? I know the palm trees moslty are pretzel rods but how do you make the leaves? Also, what is the water made out of? I'd really like to attempt it. Thanks!

5 replies
brincess_b Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 10:37am
post #2 of 6

water could be anything, fondant, buttercream or royal icing. or piping gel. if you are already using one of them, just save a bit and add the blue colour.
you could always make life easy with the palm trees, and look out for plastic ones to stick in! you could use wire and fondant to make the trees, fondant balls to do the trunk, and fondant, gumpaste or a fondant/ gumpate mix for the leaves, u can probably manage to cut them out without a cutter.
i bet you will do a great job!

Michelle104 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 6

brincess is definitely right. Water can be anything. I've done it with buttercream and also with tinted piping gel. They're both good. I've done palm trees both ways as well, with the pretzel as the trunk and also just a fondant/gumpaste sausage the I scored with a knife to make the bark. For my leaves I just used a plain leaf cutter and scored the sides of it.....you can definitely do it!! icon_lol.gif Post pics!!

niccicola Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 6

I made a moat around a castle cake (see my pictures) and what I did was mark off exactly where i wanted the water by piping tip 12 green (or you could use brown) icing around the edges for the bank. Then used tip 5 to make a thin layer of white as my moat bottom. Then used tip 5 with blue icing to kind of swirl blue into the white layer.

it made it look like trickling/rushing water. which, probably wasn't great since a moat has more of a standstill water look, but i thought it turned out awesome!

If you want it clear, i would go with piping gel dyed blue. If you use aluminum foil as your cake base, i don't know how it would effect the look of the water bed, but you could always do a thin layer of white icing and then spread your piping gel.

gscout73 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 6

I have several cakes that have palm trees that use pretzel rods and Piroette cookies, the leaves are fondant or royal icing (dependent on the size of the trees). And tinted gel is best for the look of water.[/img]

glendaleAZ Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 6

Hi klj0207,

Ive used both piping gel (preferred method looks more realistic) and buttercream for water. I used candy clay, fondant covered plastic tubes, and plastic for trees. And, have used fondant cutters and wilton tips for leaves. Take a look at my pics for a visual.

Quote by @%username% on %date%