Chocolate Cake W/ A Box

Decorating By sweet_teeth Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 6:04pm by cakesdivine

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:33am
post #1 of 5

So I try to have an amazing scratch as well as box recipe for most cakes that I make. I have my chocolate scratch cake down pat.. (double chocolate layer cake from epicurious) and am now trying to find a yummy one with a box. I normally HATE boxed chocolate cake, but that was before I discovered doctoring mixes, so i'm hoping I can find a good one.

My question is... what is your favorite boxed chocolate cake? I tried DH devils food today, and I assumed it would be really chocolaty, but it wasn't! I used a WASC variation, and subbed 1/2 the flour of cocoa and it still wasn't dark like I expected a devils food cake to be.. but maybe I'm mistaken on what a devil's food cake actually is. Do you all like the dark chocolate fudge, which I think is DH, or the BC variation Dark chocolate better than the Devil's food?

I'm trying to find the most chocolaty tasting one icon_smile.gif They usually taste chalky to me.. not chocolaty.

Thanks!

4 replies
sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 7:43am
post #2 of 5

I use Rebecca Sutterby's variation of WASC with DH Triple Chocolate Fudge cake. I use coffee in place of the water and whole eggs rather than egg whites. It's really chocolatey and yummy. The coffee sure boosts the chocolate flavor so subbing out some of the flour with cocoa isn't necessary.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 5

For box only - that needs no additions you can't beat Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Cake.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 5

So i'm guessing Devil's Food isn't as chocolatly as the Dark Chocolate cakes.. hm. I subbed coffee for water, added melted chocolate chips, and added a 1/2 cup of cocoa and it's still a light brown color and more of a milk chocolate taste.

Thanks yall for your input icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 5

Devil's food to me has a doughy aftertaste, The Dark Choclate is where it is at. I use it to do my mocha cake by using coffee in place of water and adding coffee syrup to my buttercream icing. (instant coffee with a little water poured into the jar making a thick coffee syrup) And you are right, DF isn't as chocolaty as DC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%