Buy Black Fondant Or Dye White Fondant Black

Decorating By Someonesmommy Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 3:05pm by niccicola

Someonesmommy Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:10am
post #1 of 11

Just wondering if it would be better to buy the black fondant or buy the white and just color it black.

I was planning on buying a tub of black satin ice to use for a leather jacket on a harley cake.

If coloring white fondant black would work better, which brand should I use? Wilton, americolor....?

10 replies
KoryAK Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 7:18am
post #2 of 11

buy it!

sparklepopz Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 7:23am
post #3 of 11

How 'bout you do both and figure out what YOU like better?

You are going to get people who prefer to color their own (like me, who uses Americolor Super Black and dark chocolate Satin Ice fondant which still tastes chocolatey and yummy after being colored black) and people who prefer to buy it. I mean, those are the only two answers you can possibly get and it's completely a matter of preference based on experience.

Someonesmommy Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 8:16am
post #4 of 11

Why do YOU prefer dying the chocolate fondant? Because of the taste?

Michelle104 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 11

I've used all 3, pre-made, white colored by me with black, and choc fondant colored to black. If you want to do it yourself, definitely start with the choc fondant! You have to add soooo much black when you start with white that it gets a little mushy feeling and then you have to let it rest for quite sometime in my experience.. icon_wink.gif

niccicola Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 11

I have been known to buy a small package of wilton black fondant because it was convienant and I only needed it for small details.

However, if I am doing a large piece which it sounds like you are, I would make it myself because i am very opposed to eating wilton fondant in large amounts.

I have not made black fondant before, tho, the time will come when i will need to. Definitely start with a homemade chocolate or store-bought chocolate fondant and work from there. Satin Ice is good but i only have experience with the white/vanilla flavor.

Otherwise, i make my own MMF. I have not tried chocolate MMF yet.

kimmichanga Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 11

I asked the same question once and someone told me to try the "true black mmf" recipe on here. It was a little hard to make, folding in the black color was "wrist wrenching". Over all an easy recipe to follow and the color was great. It was even shiny and a little leathery looking which was perfect for my friend.

MayWest Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:41pm
post #8 of 11

Buy it. I use Satin Ice and it is great.

kimmichanga Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 11

On the same note, my daughter wants a zebra print cake for her birthday and I only need a little black fondant. My stores never have it....what is satin ice and where do i get it?

jlsheik Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 3:00pm
post #10 of 11

I use chocolate pettinice...I buy the 2lb size. Just pinch off enough for what you need and add in black color...with gloves. I works for me and stays a nice working consistancy. Lots of zebra cakes come my way. Check out the pics.

niccicola Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 11

the cheapest place i have found to buy satin ice online is

my local shop has it but it's sooo overpriced, even after shipping and handling, it's cheaper for me to buy it online

Quote by @%username% on %date%