Cake Mentor

Decorating By k33bl3r Updated 4 Jan 2009 , 4:14am by bobwonderbuns

k33bl3r Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:39am
post #1 of 11

I was wondering if there are any forums or sites out there where you can be paired up with a cake decorator in your area who can mentor you and guide you as you learn new things about cake decorating. See, I can't exactly afford to take the classes (5 month old baby to take care of), and I figure this might be a better way of learning since it could also be just 1 on 1.

OR, if anyone on here is from the Williamsburg area of VA, and would be willing to help an eager, fast learning, newbie to the cake decorating world, I'd be ever so grateful.

10 replies
sugarwishes Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 10:29am
post #2 of 11

I've never heard of a site like that, although it would be great if they had one!!! What about maybe mailing a letter to professionals in your area and see if they'l take you up up that offer. The worst that can happen is they say no, but I think it would be worth the shot.

kimster Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 11

You could contact whatever cake deco classes in your area to see if they offer scholarships...

...another idea... see if there are any retired cake decorators in your area. There was an elderly lady in our area (since passed on) who would love to have younger people to talk to. She would sit with you (for the whopping fee of a cup of coffee) and spend an hour.

The only downside is she would let my kids eat all the leftover icing, fondant, cake scraps, which led to a dentist visit.

Anyway, I did get some nice tips from her, though I was just starting...

We can learn a lot from our elders, and they are so willing to share. Just an idea

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 11

B Keith Ryer is in Virginia--I think he is kinda far away but that's a thought for yah. Google him if you want.

peg818 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 11

check with your local ices chapter, its probably the best place to start and see what is available. Perhaps a cake club or something like that.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 11

I typo-ed, it's B. Keith Ryder of course.

duh, Kate!

yellobutterfly Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 11

I think it's a great idea, if you can find a willing instructor! I've always wanted to call a specific bakery that's about 30 minutes away and ask if I could "intern" with them...truth be told, I want to know their petitfour technique - those boogers get me every time!

maryj Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 1:01am
post #8 of 11

I have a cake mentor. Her name is Kat. Two friends of mine were getting married, on a limited budget. I volunteered to do all the flowers and decorations for the wedding. I went as far as to drive up to an area outside of town and pick beautifully colored fall maple leaves and hand dipped each into wax for the arrangements. While I was in charge of this another friend of the brides had volunteered to make her cake. This friend "Kat" lives about 5 hours away from the bride so she brought all of her "things" to my friends house and made the cake there. It took her three full days including set up. Each day my friend would call me and say" wanna come over and watch, or wanna come over and have cake scraps" I was so intrigued by all of it. I wanted so bad to just jump in and help, to play with all her "cool tools" but only sat back and watched. I was hooked. She has a full time job, I told her she should quit that job and open her own bakery and call it "Kats Cakes" she replied" my parents would be so happy that they paid for my education so I can quit and make cakes. She has a doctorate and works at the Mayo clinic doing research for heart diesease. I chuckled and told her that I'd create the heart diesease with butter laden cakes and icing and she can fix the people after I feed them cake.

k33bl3r Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 2:24am
post #9 of 11

Well, the whole reason for a mentor was because I can't afford lessons. And B. Keith is VERY expensive.

bafishr Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 2:41am
post #10 of 11

k33bl3r, I too would like to know if there is a mentor in VA. I live about an hour from you, Chesterfield. There is a bakery close to me but they have no inclination to help anyone, afraid of competition, and I'm not very good.
Good luck and let me know if you find anything. I would be willing to drive your way if someone would give a discount!

bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:14am
post #11 of 11

I'd be happy to help you out in any way I can although I'm in another state (no where near you.) Just PM me and I'd be happy to answer your questions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%