Chocolate Melts- Do They Expire/go Bad?

Decorating By dance2874 Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 5:43am by indydebi

dance2874 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dance2874 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:41am
post #1 of 3

My mom ahd a bunch of chocolate melts in her cupboard she gave me and I have NO idea how old they are. Some of the bags are unopened. Do they ever expire or go bad? There arent any dates on them. I dont want to go through the mess of trying to use them if they arent going to melt well or taste ok. (and yes, the obvious answer is to taste one but I am afraid icon_lol.gif )

Thanks!

2 replies
sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:58am
post #2 of 3

Are they wilton candy melts? If so, I found this:

To check the expiration date of Candy Melts: To the left of the Wilton Candy Melts logo is a stamped series of numbers. The top line of numbers is what youre looking for. The first # is the month, the second is the day, and the third & fourth are the last 2 digits of the year. For example: 7501BH8 would be July 5, 2001.

If not, I also found this"

The best way to see if your chocolate is still good is to melt it. If it does not melt or is very difficult to melt it is not good. Lastly if it does melt, taste it. You will have no doubt that it is bad. I hope that was somewhat helpful.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:43am
post #3 of 3

yes, they do. I found out the hard way. Old chocolate doesn't melt well, doesn't melt smooth, and tastes "dusty". As mentioned above, if you melt just a few, you'll know in a few seconds if it's any good or not.

I threw out a couple of pounds today that I found hidden in the back corner ..... Can't even remember when I bought it. Didn't test it. Just pitched it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%