Quick Help On Fondant On Wires Please

Decorating By Ruby2uesday Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 6:41pm by kakeladi

Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 12:35am
post #1 of 7

I'm making my first fondant on wires. You know stars/balls and such. But how do you get them to stay on the wires? they are starting to harden and already are slipping off if i have to move them. Plus i was going to put some balls at the end of my stars but how do i keep them from sliding all the way down since the wire goes all the way through? I'm shaping balls now so i'd appreciate any QUICK help!!!! THANKS! ruby

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:06am
post #2 of 7

Did you dip the wire in gumglue first? Make a tiny hook at the end?
For the balls, paint (very lightly) w/gum glue before sliding the balls up. Hold in place a few seconds. OR dry upside down.
For gum glue - soften a pea size piece in a bit of water (maybe about a teaspoon). Paint or rub this around the wire.

Ruby2uesday Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:21am
post #3 of 7

Thanks Kakeladi, and no, i didn't do that. so is it to late for my stars that i've already made??? my stuff is due Monday evening but i've been working this week and this was the first chance i've had to make them. icon_sad.gif and what about suspending balls in the middle of the wire? is that possible? would the gumglue hold it??? Thanks again!!!!

eta: if it's to late for the fondant stars etc... with them being due on Monday/drying time, i'm going to Hobbylobby tomorrow so i can make Jeweled ones instead. just trying my hand at the fondant first! icon_smile.gif

Ruby2uesday Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:58am
post #4 of 7

bump.....

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 5:31am
post #5 of 7

Hello fellow Louisiana resident!
I just did this for the 1st time on New Years Eve (check photos for cake).
What I did is to let them dry (easier said than done in Louisiana!) turn them face down and attach them with some wet MMF, like Kakeladi said.
Someone just told me that they make their stars, balls, hearts, etc. cutouts very thick so they can just stick the wire directly into it and let it harden around the wire.
Good luck and let me know what works!

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 7:27am
post #6 of 7

I use super glue. Nobody's going to be eating the wire decor so I just make that it's spelled out on the client's signed order form that the fondant on wires is not edible. However, dried crunchy bits of super glue are not harmful to the body so if they did eat them, the danger would come from the possibility of lead or some other contaminant leaching into the fondant from the wire itself.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 7

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. How's things coming along?
korensmommy is right.......just take a strip of new fondant (or gp) and sandwich the wire between the dried star & the new stuff. Just a tiny brush of water will hold them together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%