Which Cake Recipe Is Best For Topsy Turvy Cake?

Decorating By christine1103 Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 9:12pm by sugarshack

christine1103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christine1103 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 5

I'm so excited to make my first topsy turvy cake for my twins' 3rd birthday party....A Topsy Turvy Tea Party icon_smile.gif

I've printed the instructions and am ready to get started....a few questions:

* Which recipes are best for building the cake, I would like to do the bottom chocolate and the top two tiers vanilla....

* How long can I freeze the cakes for? If I make them two weeks ahead of time and free them, unsculpted, will this be ok and is there anything I should know about freezing?

* How long will a completed cake be "good".......I would like to finish the cake (fondant covered and stacked) a few days ahead of time to decorate at a good pace versus rushing through, is this ok to do?

Thanks in advance for all of your help! This group has been so helpful in the past!!!

4 replies
Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 12:04pm
post #2 of 5

I would think a good pound cake recipe would be your best bet. It is a good sculpting cake so I would imagine a topsy turvy would fall into that same boat. Although we always make our cakes right before an event, I've read that people have frozen the cakes for longer periods of time than you mentioned.

I know I haven't been too helpful....I'd like to hear what others have to say, too.

Paul

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 5

Which recipes are best for building the cake, I would like to do the bottom chocolate and the top two tiers vanilla....
i would use your favorite recipe as long as it's not an angel food cake.

* How long can I freeze the cakes for? If I make them two weeks ahead of time and free them, unsculpted, will this be ok and is there anything I should know about freezing?
frozen cakes are good up to 6 months. Make sure you wrap it REAL good and tight with saran wrap then with foil. Try to press the saran wrap against the cake like fondant, to get out as much air as possible. also, a frozen/chilled cake is better to sculpt with than a fresh thawed cake IMO

* How long will a completed cake be "good".......I would like to finish the cake (fondant covered and stacked) a few days ahead of time to decorate at a good pace versus rushing through, is this ok to do?
I work on a 3 day schedule. 3 days before the event, bake and freeze the cake. 2 days before I torte, level, fill, fondant, ice, sculpt, etc. The day before I do the decorating and last minute things. For a Saturday event, I bake wednesday, fondant thursday, decorate friday.

kimster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimster Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 5

I wouldn't use a real moist cake... I did, and it was a disaster. Everyone loved the flavor, but it looked a mess. Thank Goodness it was just a cake I brought to a new years eve party and everyone had already had a few drinks by the time I got there icon_redface.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 5

the durable cake recipe on this site works well

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%