My Mother Is Buying A Wal-Mart Sheet Cake!!!!!!

Lounge By absijails Updated 4 Jan 2009 , 3:33am by Carolynlovescake

absijails Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 16

Let me just start by saying that I live 26 hours from my family. If I lived closer, this definitely would not be happening!
My cousin got married (shotgun wedding) this morning. So next Saturday my mother and aunt are hosting a reception for them. As we're talking about it, my mother says, "I guess I'll just go to Wal-Mart and get a small sheet cake so we'll have something." NOOOOOO! I don't really remember what came out of my mouth, but I do remember sputtering.
Neither Mother or my aunt are cooks. And I think this is a very nice thing for them to do for the family as a whole. BUT A WAL-MART cake!?!?!
They don't own a pastry bag between them. And I know they don't want to spend a lot of money - they're spending enough as it is.
I'm just so upset. My mind has been racing trying to come up with something that is better than a store-bought cake but takes just as little effort or supplies. I've not thought of anything...so I'm venting.
Happy New Year everyone!

15 replies
Amia Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 16

Does anyone have a Costco membership?!?! Their cakes are delicious (and I usually do not like cake!). It's like $15 for their sheetcake, so it's cheaper than Wal-mart. They're also the only commercial bakery that bakes fresh. I would definitely tell them to go to Costco!

sparklepopz Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 16

If they don't do cakes, and you can't deliver one, and they have a limited budget, then why be upset about them buying what works for them?

A lot of people like Wal-Mart cakes. I wouldn't give them any grief over getting a Wal-Mart cake.

sugarwishes Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 16

i agree with sparklepopz. i really don't see the problem since they're on a tight budget and you are not there to make the cake. I have never had a walmart cake nor have i ever seen one, but how bad can it really be? im guessing it would be like buying a cake at the supermarket.

Amia Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by xLiLMissCupCake

I have never had a walmart cake nor have i ever seen one, but how bad can it really be?

Bad. I've had some that tasted freezer burned, some that were soggy, some that were dry... If they're on a tight budget, someone could bake some box mix cakes, rough ice with canned frosting and they could put silk flowers on top.

indydebi Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by amia1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLiLMissCupCake

I have never had a walmart cake nor have i ever seen one, but how bad can it really be?

Bad. I've had some that tasted freezer burned, some that were soggy, some that were dry...

Then y'all will LUV this story! I know a couple who had a "parents and grandparents only" wedding. They bought a small cake at the one and only bakery in town. THe cake was so bad that they ran out to walmart to get another one.

now when WALMART is considered an UPGRADE........! icon_surprised.gif

sparklepopz Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 16

Please. Wal-Mart cakes are not all bad. Before I did cakes, we had cakes from Wal-Mart and Sam's. It's really no big deal. icon_smile.gif

If Wal-Mart cakes were all dry, soggy, freezer burned or otherwise piss-poor, they would not sell such a huge volume of cakes. icon_smile.gif

Carolynlovescake Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 16

I've had bad cake and good cake from Wal*Mart. The same can be said about Safeway, Albertson's, Winco and various professional bakeries around town that do custom work.

As for decorating, well it's a learning curve and I am sure that 90% of the bakery employees are starting out. You don't see Bronwin, Norm etc. types working there. You can't expect perfect at a place like that.

Now if they were advertising themselves as a high end bakery like some of the FN contestants do then I'd say yeah what they do quality wise is a problem.

Amia Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklepopz

If Wal-Mart cakes were all dry, soggy, freezer burned or otherwise piss-poor, they would not sell such a huge volume of cakes. icon_smile.gif

Yes they would, because they're cheap and people don't like to pay a lot for "just flour and eggs." icon_rolleyes.gif

Amia Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 16

dup post

Amia Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 10:39pm
post #11 of 16

Dup post.

sparklepopz Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 10:40pm
post #12 of 16

Bronwen Weber actually worked at a grocery store bakery for 10 or 15 years or something crazy like that. icon_smile.gif

There are good and bad cakes everywhere.

Carolynlovescake Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:03am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklepopz

Bronwen Weber actually worked at a grocery store bakery for 10 or 15 years or something crazy like that. icon_smile.gif

Didn't know that!

I was meaning they were not working at one "now" while doing FN challenges and such type shows.

sparklepopz Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 3:01am
post #14 of 16

Oh yeah, I know what you meant. Just threw an interesting factoid out there. icon_smile.gif

But dang, I bet the grocery store that was blessed with her put out some amazing cakes! LOL

absijails Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 8:34pm
post #15 of 16

I know Wal-Mart cakes aren't that bad. I just really feel bad for my cousin and his wife. They've had a really tough go of it that I want them to have something nice. (Besides the thoughts of my mother and aunt...) This isn't her dream wedding by far and if they could just have a weddingish cake, it would be nice.
I did ask my mom to at least put a bow on top or some silk flowers around it and she liked that idea. She also said she was thinking about baking a cake. It may or may not get done, but at least she's thinking about it.
I just hate to think that there will be a half-sheet cake just sitting on the table for their wedding!
My husband did tell me that there was enough drama going on in the family right now that I really didn't need to add to it...I hate it when he's right!

Carolynlovescake Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 3:33am
post #16 of 16

If next Saturday wasn't meaning today and is for the 10th and the live near me I'll gladly donate a 8, 6, 4 tiered cake for them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%