Chocolate Wrap Question

Decorating By stampinron Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 10:05pm by stampinron

stampinron Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 12

I do not have mylar or acetate, I have some vinyl.

Can I pour the melted chocolate on the vinyl and wrap around the cake?

11 replies
psurrette Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 12

I would think vinyl would work too. I would just try it on a small piece first. Good luck

miny Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 12

It should work ok

melysa Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 12

if you are using a material that is not as firm and stable as acetate, you should allow the chocolate to set up a little (flexible and soft but not shiny and wet) before you lift it to wrap around the cake. you wont get a completely smooth surface if you lift it to early because the vinyl will bend and warp a little because of the weight of the unset chocolate. i have used acetate as well as chocolate transfers, vinyl and parchment paper- they will all work but with different results. however the more care you take in doing it, the results even though they will vary, should be satisfactory. dont forget to temper your chocolate, otherwise whatever material you use, the chocoalte will stick and peel /break off, or will "wilt" as soon as taken out of the fridge and brought into a warm room.

stampinron Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:23am
post #5 of 12

Thank you for all the replies. I will be trying for the first time in a couple weeks. I'll let you know how it goes with the vinyl. I've never tempered before so if there are any tricks to it I would appreciate any advice. I have a block of chocolate I'm planning to use. It is just from the bulk food section of our store.

melysa Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:44am
post #6 of 12

here is an article on tempering chocolate. it can be tricky. http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Tempering-Chocolate/Detail.aspx if you feel really desperate, you can use "chocolate" candy melts since they arent so fussy and melt easily in the microwave.

here is an online tutorial with photos of each step on how to do a wrap. http://candy.about.com/od/phototutorials/ss/sbscaketransfer.htm i like to measure my wrap a little taller than the cake so it is raised above the cake and then i fill it with berries. a nice touch! i have a few in my photos if you want to take a look.

have fun!

melysa Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:47am
post #7 of 12

i forgot to mention, you can buy sheets of acetate for a couple of dollars at craft stores like joanns or hobby lobby and i've even seen it in walmart (craft aisle). they are sold for cutting your own stencils. you'll need to cut them in half (instead of being 9-10 across, they'll be 4-5" across) turn them sideways and tape together for a long strip.

stampinron Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 12

Thank you Melysa for the advice.....I just spend an hour in your photo section and saved a dozen...you are very talented.

melysa Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 7:06pm
post #9 of 12

thank you for the compliments. i am glad to help. have fun with it~

LisaR64 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:11am
post #10 of 12

I too use the vinyl and it works great, but as mentioned, you have to spread the chocolate on the vinyl and let it sit until it sets a little. I let it set to the point it would still show a fingerprint if I touched it, but it didn't stick to my finger. Then I wrap the cake and refrigerate it for a few minutes, and then peel the vinyl off.

I've done a few wraps now, and I also noticed it is MUCH easier using a good quality chocolate (high cocoa content). I also tempered for the first time recently (my snowflake cake), and it was so easy, I don't know why I was always so afraid to try it. Good luck with your wrap!

Jopalis Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 8:45pm
post #11 of 12

There have been a lot of posts on this. Lots of things will work but you should only be using food safe acetate. Other non-food products can leach out chemicals. Country Kitchen sells food safe acetate as do other sources. Just my two cents. People will do what they will though... It works with lots of things....

stampinron Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 10:05pm
post #12 of 12

Here's my first attempt. I will definitely keep trying. My wrap was a little too thin so next time I'll make it thicker. I really wasn't too hard.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%