Help! With Wilton Fondant Cut & Press

Decorating By prcutie71 Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 7:47pm by Uniqueask

prcutie71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prcutie71 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 19

Ok! Kinda new to this cake thing...I bought these thought they were cool...BUT for the life of me I do not understand how to use them.
I rolled the fondant cut the rectangle put it on the cut side and pressed it together...now where does the green imprint side come to play???

I am so frustrated, I just want to throw them away. They looked FUN! Yeah Right!!!
Someone please help!!!!
I've looked on the net for tutorials...nothing...not even on the Wilton site...

SOS SOS SOS

18 replies
tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 19

I picked some of these up several months ago and took them right back to the store. They were the worst!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 19

WOW! you lost me...... can you describe them ?

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 19

I bought them and they are horrible. Just make sure you use LOTS of corn starch, or else they will stick. I will stick to my regular cutters and veining them myself. As for mine, I tossed it. I had it too long before using it. Big mistake on my part.

prcutie71 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 19

Eisskween...I know what you mean, that is the same thing I did...bought them and waited too long to test it out...looks as though it is going to make it to the circular file...

mandi1613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandi1613 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 19

i bought them and used them to make a bunch of leaves. roll out the rectanges of fondant (not to thin or you won't get the imprint) lay it on the white side (the side without the imprint) then put the other side on top and press down firmly. remove the top then remove the excess fondant. take a sharp knife or exacto knife and gently lift the edge and it should come right out.

when i first bought mine i was very confused but after playing with it for a little while i found it to be very useful. HTH icon_smile.gif

prcutie71 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 19

grama_j look at this link (if it works)
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=93495A7B-423B-522D-F85C8EB507FA662D&killnav=1

Looks pretty, that is about it...worst thing is that I bought both of them...

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 19

I have never seen them...... thanks for the link...... doesn't sound like anything I would like to use.......

prcutie71 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 19

No problem grama_j...good thing, waste of $$$ obviously...
Should of bought a set of Tappits letters instead...lol
I think that is what I am going to do to make me Happy!!! LOL

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 4:06pm
post #10 of 19

I think just using the cutters and veining them with either a toothpick or the veining tool is so much easier. You don't waste a load of time trying to pry the fondant from the press. icon_smile.gif

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 4:18pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by prcutie71

Eisskween...I know what you mean, that is the same thing I did...bought them and waited too long to test it out...looks as though it is going to make it to the circular file...

FYI - most stores will accept a return without a receipt, they will just give you store credit or let you exchange it for something else, which is always better than throwing them away! icon_wink.gif

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:07pm
post #12 of 19

I have used those. I thought they looked fun too! As far as I can tell the green side (top) just shows you the template. The veining is done when you push both sides together. I found them to be time consuming as it was roll, squish, digg out, roll squish dig out... I also bought some plunger type leaves and that was so much faster... roll, punch,punch,punch,punch,punch,punch.... They did look great though....

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:28pm
post #13 of 19

Like mandi1631said play with them for a while and they will work,

I have all two sets the one with the flowers too and they work really great for me, I actually made a wedding cake for my friend with them, could not post having trouble posting pictures, Roll out a small square, of fondant not too thick not too thin lay inside the bottom white side then press the top side really hard and (whala0. keep trying no need to throw it away,I took all wilton courses so My instructor showed me to use everything That i bought. Hope this helps.

Uniqueask Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:30pm
post #14 of 19

I mean (Whala)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:36pm
post #15 of 19

I think you mean (voila).

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:39pm
post #16 of 19

Most Wilton products scare me.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 11:54pm
post #17 of 19

If you have the Wilton small rolling pin, you want to use the purple O rings when you roll out the fondant. You want it to be about 1/8th of an inch thick. I cut it using the cut side, then dust the actual fondant with powder sugar and also dust the other side. I have also found that if you pick it up and squeeze it between your hands I got a better imprint on them.

I think the flower one comes out really cute, especially if you mix up different colors of fondant in the flowers.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:53am
post #18 of 19

The first few times I tried it they were horrible.

Then once they were "seasoned" a bit they worked wonderfully.

Uniqueask Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 7:47pm
post #19 of 19

Yes Thanks (voila).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%