Edible Gem/diamond Molds Help!!

Sugar Work By Charmed Updated 2 Apr 2012 , 3:38am by BarbaraM0809

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:53pm
post #61 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by janebrophy

Thanks! Do you use the First Impressions mould? Does it have tear shaped cavities? I'm having a hard time deciding on a mould?

No, I haven't made any purchases or tried it yet, I want to, I'm just still looking into my options and reading up on the best method...

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 6:07pm
post #62 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

I have the First Impressions mold, I think. It's blue, and has about 25 cavities I think? Yes...tear shaped, baguette, round, etc. Works great now that I have practiced with it!

So, did you use the isomalt that is working well? I have that mold and have been watching this thread to learn from your experiences... icon_biggrin.gif

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:59pm
post #63 of 74

I hate to drag this thread up again, but I just ordered the FI mold from Global Sugar Art, and noticed the instructions that came with it include a hard candy recipe, and it says nothing of putting the mold in the oven....just wondering if anyone has tried this recipe?

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:01pm
post #64 of 74

I haven't tried the recipe, but I have put it in the oven for an extended period. Only problem was that the green Jolly Ranchers stained it.

Rhonkaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonkaye Posted 29 Nov 2011 , 9:33pm
post #65 of 74

I just played around with some isomalt and silicone putty I bought from Michaels. It was messy, but I had looked up some info and sprayed my pan and the candy forms ahead of time. After boiling the isomalt for some time it turned clear. I poured, it hardened and had I not stirred it so much it would have come out with very few bubbles. The clarity on some parts were very pretty and clear. I looked at the prices of edible diamonds and gems and wow it's very expensive. Then the shipping will do you in too. I think I'm going to practice making my own and see how it goes. It's much cheaper and I was told to get a clear vial or air tight container and they will last until you need them.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 1 Dec 2011 , 11:00pm
post #66 of 74

If you buy food grade silicate (The de-humidifying stuff) and put your gems in two air tight plastic bags (because plastic is slightly porous) they should last for some time.

Rhonkaye Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 12:04am
post #67 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

If you buy food grade silicate (The de-humidifying stuff) and put your gems in two air tight plastic bags (because plastic is slightly porous) they should last for some time.

Hey!! Thank you for that tidbit of info!!! Very helpful. How do you get your isomalt into those little molds without making a mess?

dchockeyguy Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 2:33pm
post #68 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonkaye

Quote:

Hey!! Thank you for that tidbit of info!!! Very helpful. How do you get your into those little molds without making a mess?

That's just hard. The bigger gems aren't too bad. I usually use a silicon cupcake baking cup to use. For smaller ones, I have a tiny silicon spoon I use.

Rhonkaye Posted 2 Dec 2011 , 3:04pm
post #69 of 74
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonkaye

Quote:

Hey!! Thank you for that tidbit of info!!! Very helpful. How do you get your into those little molds without making a mess?

That's just hard. The bigger gems aren't too bad. I usually use a silicon cupcake baking cup to use. For smaller ones, I have a tiny silicon spoon I use.

I was at bed bath and beyond the other day and I found some stainless steel measuring cups with pour spouts and there's one that is pretty small with the spout. I going to give that a try next time too along with some baby spoons.....lol

dchockeyguy Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 6:59pm
post #70 of 74

That could work, but you'll find that it's hard to get them clean, and the isomalt will stick to the sides and not come off. With silicon the isomalt comes right off and you can just re-melt it again.

Rhonkaye Posted 5 Dec 2011 , 8:59pm
post #71 of 74
Quote:

That could work, but you'll find that it's hard to get them clean, and the will stick to the sides and not come off. With silicon the comes right off and you can just re-melt it again.

You are so right! I also saw a silicone large and small measuring beaker that can get up to 650 degrees and that would be perfect for heating, pouring and clean up!

BarbaraM0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraM0809 Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 5:20pm
post #72 of 74
Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 10:52pm
post #73 of 74

I'm still watching -lol!! Have you ordered them, and are they as nice as the picture??
Thanks, I can make these sizes easily in the colors, but not in clear..

BarbaraM0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraM0809 Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 3:38am
post #74 of 74

lol no I haven't ordered any yet but I'll let you know as soon as I do. I always buy these kind of things instead of trying to make them...I still have the scars on my hand from the last time I tried to mess with boiling sugar icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%