Prices Anyone??????

Decorating By majormichel Updated 2 Jan 2009 , 8:36pm by majormichel

majormichel  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 2:22am
post #1 of 9

Ok not to toot my own horn, but I did this cake for free.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1298423
How much would you charge for this cake? I was thinking $60 (my sister thinks I am crazy)

I was wondering how much do you charge for fondant and buttercream cakes? Do you use wilton cake slicing guide and charge $2.50 and up per slice.

Help, my sister thinks I am losing money!

8 replies
 indydebi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 2:47am
post #2 of 9

What size is the cake and how many does it serve?

Yes, I use the Wilton Wedding chart to determine pricing. My pricing is posted on my website.

jibbies  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 2:50am
post #3 of 9

I checked out your cake, nice job. I charge $2.00 a serving for wedding cakes. for sheet cakes I have set prices of $25.00, $30.00 and $35.00. I generally only do the sheets in buttercream, sometimes I use fondant accents. I haven't had a request for a fondant covered sheet cake. You are going to get a wide range of prices. but my advice is charge what you think is right.

Jibbies

majormichel Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 11:51am
post #4 of 9

The cake is 6" round and 1/4 sheet cake both covered in Fondant.

MikeRowesHunny  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 12:41pm
post #5 of 9

My minimum price per serving for fondant it is $3.50, I also sometimes charge extra for figures (depending on the decor for the rest of the cake), so my price would be around $125 (I think that's a single layer sheet cake, right?).

-K8memphis  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormichel

Do you use wilton cake slicing guide and charge $2.50 and up per slice.

Help, my sister thinks I am losing money!

Your sister is right.

I think this is a very good marker for basic decorated cake.

Then add on for elaborate decor, fondant covered, special recipes, handmade flowers, tier cakes with dowell, sculptures etc.

majormichel Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 9

According to Wilton cake guide a 6" x3 rounds serves 12 and 9 x 13 serves 45. A total of 57 servings x $3.50 (fondant - estimate) = 199.50 plus extra for the fondant figure. Woooow, Thats a lot of money.

akgirl10  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:34pm
post #8 of 9

Is your 9x13 one layer or two? It looks like one from the picture. The Wilton guide for 45 servings is based on two cake layers. So a one layer 9x13 is more like 20-22 servings. But even at 34 servings, it's $119, double of your first estimate.

majormichel Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 9

Yes, its 1 layer

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%