Help! My First Wedding Cake.....

Decorating By angelwaggoner Updated 1 Jan 2009 , 9:21pm by angelwaggoner

angelwaggoner Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 8

...is due Sat. I'm not really that nervous about it but I need to bake it quickly, not one painstaking layer at a time. I work at a school so i am using thier ovens....one is a small industrial and one is a convection. I decided to try the convection w/ a small (top layer) and burnt the heck out of it all the while the inside was soupy! What did I do wrong???? I've read somewhere to lower the temp? What would ya'll suggest. I'm running out of time!!! I need help soon!

Thanks!

7 replies
liapsim Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 8

First of all, convection ovens cook A LOT faster than a regular oven....so that is why your cake burnt and was soupy inside. As far as lowering the temp...wouldn't know what to tell you to lower it too as well as probably wouldn't recommend you use that particular oven.

I unfortuanately can't tell you how to make a cake faster.....good luck and hopefully someone else can you out a little better!

KlyKat Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 8

I cook in a convection daily and lower my temp to 275 and bake white/yellow for 50 mins and choc/red velvet for 55 mins. HTH K'ly

miss_sweetstory Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 8

Convection ovens are great...but they do take some getting used to. I wouldn't suggest that you try to figure it out with a deadline like this. Use an oven you know so that you can get the expected, consistent results.

Convection ovens are all slightly different, just like regular ones. The first convection that I had, I only needed to reduce the temperature about 30 degrees F while cooking the same amount of time. The one I have now, I reduce temp 25 - 30 degrees but also have to reduce cooking time, sometimes cutting off a third of the original cooking time. It's trial and error until you figure it out.
Also, I still cover a lot of things for part of the cooking time to prevent over-browning, which can happen really quickly in a convection oven.

Good luck, hope it all works out!

dlinnane Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 8

The instructions that came with my convection oven say to lower the temperature 25 degrees, and reduce the cooking time by 1/4. But like the other posters said, it's trial and error. Good luck!

angelwaggoner Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks so much!!!! I'm scared to try another layer....the first one I did at 350 and it was crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside!!!
I really want to try it to get these done! But I don't want to ruin that much cake in the processs.....what would you cover them w/?? Foil? Thanks for all of your help!

dlinnane Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 8

I never cover them. Just lower the temperature. And if it's a small layer, like 6", really watch it closely - you can keep it from burning. Be sure to use baking strips around the outside of the pan (pre-soaked), and you can also use a flower nail in the center to cook the middle faster. That's a very simple thing to do, and it makes a huge difference for me.

angelwaggoner Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 9:21pm
post #8 of 8

okay, trial two! I just put a 8" in the convection...I don't think that things calibrated properly! I turned it way down, like 275....and in only 5 min it was puffing up! Hope that's normal! I'm down to two layers left to bake...it's three tier, square, 16", 12" and 8".....thanks again, you guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%