Please...someone Else Has Had This Problem Right??

Decorating By LisaMaeCakes Updated 2 Jan 2009 , 3:56am by LisaMaeCakes

LisaMaeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMaeCakes Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 8

When I add alot of color to my MMF it isn't as pliable. I just made some bright coral and it was so smooth and pliable when I first started, but after I got the bright color I wanted and placed it on the cake, the corners crack. I always put a little glycerin in my mmf and never have a problem unless I put alot of color. I use Wilton and Americolor and don't seem to see a trend as if one is worse than the other.

Anyone else have this problem and if any solutions?

I'm getting so frustrated!

Thx
Lisa

7 replies
ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 8

If I'm using a lot of colour then I add a bit more shortening to my MMF. It seems to help a lot and I wish I could tell you how much but it really varies.

HTH

Kathy

Jeannie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannie21 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 8

i agree with ladyellam,thats what i do! But another thing that may help for making it easier to work with is to pop it in the microwave for a few seconds,how long depends on how big of a batch u have though. but it softens it up and makes it smooth again. Thats my fave trick icon_smile.gif hope i helped! GL

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 12:12am
post #4 of 8

I think that if you pop it in the microwave like Jeannie said, it will help.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 12:21am
post #5 of 8

I've had this problem too, most recently with deep royal blue. Can't wait to try the microwave method next time, extra shortening helped but didn't completely solve the problem when it's a really dark color. Thanks for sharing.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 12:22am
post #6 of 8

I always had that problem with my mmf when I added a lot of color. I finally gave up and bought some satin ice. It takes a lot of color very nice. It costs more than homemade mmf but it sure saves a lot on time and mess. I guess you have to look at the pros and cons of each!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 12:27am
post #7 of 8

I have noticed that only happens with MMF, not commercial brands. I plan to try Michelle Foster's Fondant recipe soon, do any of you know if that takes a lot of color better than MMF?

LisaMaeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMaeCakes Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 3:56am
post #8 of 8

Thanks all. Yes, I've tried the microwave tip and it really didn't help. I agree that the commercial brands take color better. I just can't stand Satin Ice. I absolutely love the Albert Uster, but $50 a bucket is crazy expensive.

If anyone out there knows that Michele Foster's accepts color well, please let me know!

Thx a bunch
Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%