do ya'll get much biz from them?

35 replies
-K8memphis Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 36

"Support the Troops"?

No, not so much. icon_lol.gif

jammjenks Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 36

I don't have one on my door, but here's the one I put on the back when delivering.
LL

cakesdivine Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 36

Here is my cake magnet for when I deliver a wedding cake.
LL

aligotmatt Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 36

Mine is my logo with "cake delivery in progress" on it.

I don't think I've gotten any business, but I have gotten the finger less...

classiccake Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 36

I have a delivery van with our logo and phone number on it.

We have gotten just a few calls from people who have seen it. We also get comments such as "I see your van everywhere."

I especially apppreciate that the signage makes it "more official" when I am parking, double parking, in a no parking zone, etc (you all know what I mean icon_wink.gif ) when I am delivering!

newmansmom2004 Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 36

My magnet says: "My Sussex spaniel is smarter than your honor student" icon_biggrin.gif

I haven't gotten one order from it yet...hee hee hee

janebrophy Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 6:20pm
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

Mine is my logo with "cake delivery in progress" on it.

I don't think I've gotten any business, but I have gotten the finger less...

LMAO!!

Good to know - I've been debating on ordering one of these....Vistaprint has them on sale or free all the time...

cakedout Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 36

ROTFL... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I used to have magnet signs.....til they blew off my van. icon_confused.gif

chassidyg Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:36pm
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedout

ROTFL... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I used to have magnet signs.....til they blew off my van. icon_confused.gif

Be lucky yours blew off, and didnt melt itself to the van like my moms did........she didnt believe me when I said it would....lol

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:40pm
post #11 of 36

I'm thinking about getting one. The only thing is I might not put "delivery in progress". Knowing my area, somebody would try to cut me off just for kicks, knowing I'm trying to steady a wedding cake in the back. icon_rolleyes.gif I'm totally not kidding.

Might think about putting an advertising one on the side though for when I'm doing deliveries.

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 7:46pm
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I'm thinking about getting one. The only thing is I might not put "delivery in progress". Knowing my area, somebody would try to cut me off just for kicks, knowing I'm trying to steady a wedding cake in the back. icon_rolleyes.gif I'm totally not kidding.

Might think about putting an advertising one on the side though for when I'm doing deliveries.

Oh I believe you. And once I knew for sure that the cake I was delivering was toast for sure....that driver would be toast as soon as I ran him down. icon_biggrin.gif

janebrophy Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:03pm
post #13 of 36

Seriously - people would cut you off on purpose??? That's crazy!!

psurrette Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:05pm
post #14 of 36

I have signs on both sides of my suz. Plus one on the back that says Caution Cake Delivery and my phone number. I got the one for the back free from Vista Print and it serve sit purpose. the one on the sided are from buildasign.com. They are awesome there! And not expensive too!
I have had business from my signs just not as much as I thought I would but people know when they have seen me. I have my goofy picture on it just like my avatar

cambo Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:11pm
post #15 of 36

I've also thought about getting one or two! I really like them when I see them on other cars/vans! I especially like that it may cut down on the number of "fingers" I receive while delivering! he he he he!

Kitagrl Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:15pm
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by janebrophy

Seriously - people would cut you off on purpose??? That's crazy!!

Depending on where in Philly I was going...yeah! Philly is the "City of Brotherly Shove" dijn't ya know....LOL.

psurrette Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:26pm
post #17 of 36

Make sure you check with your insurance company too!
Here in MA if you advertise your company on your car you must have commercial insurance and plates. Its just more money each year. then when you go thru tunnels or bridges is cost more too. Thats the crappy part!

chrissysconfections Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 9:38pm
post #18 of 36

I too have been looking into this....especially after recieving a "free offer" from Vistaprint. Only one word to the wise though with the Vistaprint. It is NOT free!! You would expect to pay for the shipping of course but you are also charged hidden fees for uploading your own design, the font and color choices etc. So just be careful if considering them. They are fairly cheap and I purchased my xmas cards from them which were goregous but the "FREE" only applies to their stock photos and designs.

Carolynlovescake Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 10:14pm
post #19 of 36

Our old shop had the "delivery in progress" or "cake on board" signs we'd slap on when delivering.

We had people in vehicles swerving into us trying to see the cakes, we had teens cutting us off and laughing, we had tailgaters etc.

We then went to having a car from another employee follow us with the sign as well.

Every now and then we'd have cake stalkers follow us to the venue and ask to see the cakes because they were just dieing to see it.

We removed them after about 3 months. We had more close calls using them then we did with out them and on the occasion we did have the cake stalkers it was very uncomfortable having someone rush up to us as we were getting out and lingering and in our way while trying to figure out if we had to carry the cakes, had a roll cart available from the venue instead etc. trying to peek in at the cake(s).

We did the walkie talkie thing from passenger to passenger/car to car instead. We'd tag team in the slow lane on the freeway when we'd have people force merge themselves between us. The lead car would allow the 2nd car to pass then pull back in in front of them.

Janette Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 11:40pm
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

My magnet says: "My Sussex spaniel is smarter than your honor student" icon_biggrin.gif

I haven't gotten one order from it yet...hee hee hee

Off the subject but I once had a bumper sticker that said "my kid beat up your honor student".

I know sic sense of humor but you wouldn't believe the people that would stop me and laugh or ask me where I got it.

cambo Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 12:01am
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurrette

Make sure you check with your insurance company too!
Here in MA if you advertise your company on your car you must have commercial insurance and plates. Its just more money each year. then when you go thru tunnels or bridges is cost more too. Thats the crappy part!

This is so true! I had forgotten that part! A while back when checking into getting them I asked my car insurance agent about it and he told me the same about business insurance, and he also HEAVILY warned that if I got into a car accident while the stickers were on my car, they could sue me personally AND my business! Something to think about!

indydebi Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 12:03am
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccake

I have a delivery van with our logo and phone number on it.

We have gotten just a few calls from people who have seen it. We also get comments such as "I see your van everywhere."

I especially apppreciate that the signage makes it "more official" when I am parking, double parking, in a no parking zone, etc (you all know what I mean icon_wink.gif ) when I am delivering!

Same here ... delivery van with name/number on both sides of van. I had one lady follow me to the shop to get my number and I've gotten a number of calls where they told me they got the number off of "one of my vans" (ok, THAT made me laugh! Someone told me to get a "4" sticker and put on the back of the van to make it look like I had a fleet! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif )

My simple "wedding cake delivery in progress" sign IS great for being able to park just anywhere! thumbs_up.gif

The bad part about having a lettered van is I always have to drive "right". Geesh, I HATE that!! icon_rolleyes.gif

LSW Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 12:26am
post #23 of 36

Mine just says Caution-- Wedding Cake Being Delivered. Got it at Vistaprint for free, just paid a small fee for shipping. I just slap it on the back of my van and so far it works great! I usually have cars come close, read the sign and back off. Haven't had a problem yet, the last cake I took the car behind me dropped back 4 car lengths!

janebrophy Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:14am
post #24 of 36

I noticed that Vistaprint has window films too, not sure how visible they'd be though...

mom23boys Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:18am
post #25 of 36

I have magnets on my van doors that have my logo and contact info along with some pics of my cakes. I've been stopped in parking lots and asked for my business card several times....

cakesbyamym Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:32am
post #26 of 36

I had phone calls of interest from my door magnets (before they blew off of the stupid car!). One day, I was sitting at a stop light in town, and my cell phone rang. I answered, and the lady on the other end said, "Hey, I'm uhh...sitting right beside you, and..." I look to my left, and she goes, "No, on your right." I looked over and she smiled real big and waived at me. I laughed so hard. It was just funny. She then wanted pricing information, but I don't believe that she ended up ordering...apparently, my prices were "too pricey" for her blood.

Carolynlovescake Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:57am
post #27 of 36
Quote:

I noticed that Vistaprint has window films too, not sure how visible they'd be though...

I just ordered two of the small window films yesterday. I'll take pictures of them once I get them on so you all can see the size of the small and how they look.

janebrophy Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:33am
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

Quote:

I just ordered two of the small window films yesterday. I'll take pictures of them once I get them on so you all can see the size of the small and how they look.

That would be great!! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

jlsheik Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 3:14am
post #29 of 36

lol....I don't think I have ever been given the finger....lol Just the look, geesh GRANDMA get outta the way!!!

Maybe I do need a magnet.

Janette Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 4:07am
post #30 of 36

I had an extra set and when I had to use my son's van to deliver a wedding cake I wasn't thinking to wipe off the car before putting the signs on. I don't have a clue where they went they just blew off.

I buy all my business material from Vista Print.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%