Coloring Technique

Decorating By Weewah Updated 1 Jan 2009 , 7:10pm by Weewah

Weewah Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 9

I need to find out how I can make the color of a gold coin, any suggestions would be appreciated.

8 replies
rvercher23 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 9

The only way I have gotten gold, is when I use gold luster dust and mix it with vodka and paint it on my items. HTH!!!

CakeMommyTX Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 9

For gold fondant I color the fondant using Americolors Gold or Wiltons Buttercup Yellow (both tun out the same goldish color) and then piant it with a mixture of vodka and gold luster dust.

kjt Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

For gold fondant I color the fondant using Americolors Gold or Wiltons Buttercup Yellow (both tun out the same goldish color) and then piant it with a mixture of vodka and gold luster dust.

Me too, exactly icon_smile.gif.
Good luck, and welcome to CC!

Weewah Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 9

Can those suggestions be used on buttercream frosting?

Ruth0209 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 9

You can't paint luster dust on buttercream. You would need to cover the cake with fondant and paint that with the luster dust.

KatieKake Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 9

you can achieve a gold color in butter cream if you add yellow, red and green. Start with yellow, mix it well, add red, mix well again, and then add a drop or two of green, the more you add of the red or green will give you different shades. Always start with yellow, do this with a small amount of buttercream, to get the shade you want, then add what you have colored to enough buttercream for your cake, you will have a good idea by now how much of the three colors you have to add to get the color you need.

bethola Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 9

Sorry, but I do paint on buttercream with luster dust. If you use crusting buttercream and a VERY LIGHT touch you can tip roses and "spackle" and "feather".

Beth in KY

Weewah Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all very much for the tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%