Coloring Technique

Decorating By Weewah Updated 1 Jan 2009 , 7:10pm by Weewah

Weewah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Weewah Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 9

I need to find out how I can make the color of a gold coin, any suggestions would be appreciated.

8 replies
rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 9

The only way I have gotten gold, is when I use gold luster dust and mix it with vodka and paint it on my items. HTH!!!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 9

For gold fondant I color the fondant using Americolors Gold or Wiltons Buttercup Yellow (both tun out the same goldish color) and then piant it with a mixture of vodka and gold luster dust.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

For gold fondant I color the fondant using Americolors Gold or Wiltons Buttercup Yellow (both tun out the same goldish color) and then piant it with a mixture of vodka and gold luster dust.

Me too, exactly icon_smile.gif.
Good luck, and welcome to CC!

Weewah Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 9

Can those suggestions be used on buttercream frosting?

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 9

You can't paint luster dust on buttercream. You would need to cover the cake with fondant and paint that with the luster dust.

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 9

you can achieve a gold color in butter cream if you add yellow, red and green. Start with yellow, mix it well, add red, mix well again, and then add a drop or two of green, the more you add of the red or green will give you different shades. Always start with yellow, do this with a small amount of buttercream, to get the shade you want, then add what you have colored to enough buttercream for your cake, you will have a good idea by now how much of the three colors you have to add to get the color you need.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 9

Sorry, but I do paint on buttercream with luster dust. If you use crusting buttercream and a VERY LIGHT touch you can tip roses and "spackle" and "feather".

Beth in KY

Weewah Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all very much for the tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%