Can I Use Marshmallow Puff As A Filling For Cupcakes? How?

Baking By serenelui Updated 2 Jan 2009 , 8:32pm by FromScratch

serenelui Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serenelui Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all... i just bought some marshmallow puff recently as it was on sale.. and i remember reading somewhere that i can actually use the marshmallow puff as a filling for a cupcake? Does anyone know how i can do that as i just made some vanilla cupcakes and would i think the marshmallow puff would go great with the cupcakes as a filling. TIA!!! icon_smile.gif

9 replies
Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 10

I am in Canada & we have Marshmallow Fluff which I am sure is the same thing. I used one jar of Fluff & one container of flavoured, soft cream cheese (I used strawberry).Mix together & voila! I used it as a cake filling, so it can also be used for cupcakes. It was a hit with everyone & everyone wanted the "recipe". So easy, but soooo good.

chocolatecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatecake Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 10

When you say "filling"- do you actually mean inside the cake? How do you do that?

If you mean frosting- I love marshmallow fluff mixed with any traditional buttercream

serenelui Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 10

Hey all.. thanks for the quick response... Limpy, i double checked the name of the product again, and it's actually from Kraft and is called JetPuffed Marshmallow Creme. I hope it's the same thing. Thanks for the pointer Limpy, unfortunately the cupcakes need to be displayed and will be out in the hot weather for about 4 hours or more and am worried that the cream cheese mixed with the marshmallow puff may spoil. But i'll definitely be trying your recipe if i have an order that doesn't require the cupcakes to be kept out for so long.

chocolatecake... yup.. when i say filling i do mean inside the cake. From what i know there are 2 methods to filling a cupcake after it's baked. Either using the cone method, i.e. removing a little cone from the top of the cupcake and adding the filling then placing back the cone/ piping the filing directly into the cupcake itself. I'm actually thinking of piping it directly into the cupcake but am a little worried that the Marshmallow Creme is too thick and may actually cause the piping tip to clog up. Have you tried this before??

Does anyone else have any ideas? TIA!! icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 10

yes the same thing -- just different brand.

really very simple -- tho' VERY sticky mess --

piping bag w/ a long narrow star or round tip.

Fill

poke into top center of cupcake.

squeeze until it's "enough" -- for me that means it start to come back out the top.

remove tip from cupcake.

frost/ice cupcake like normal.

----

fluff is gooey-er, but should not clump any more than buttercream.

-----

refilling and cleanup will be "fun" (he says sarcastically)

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 10

I've used the marshmallow creme as a filling and although it was very sticky and you have to wipe your tip off in between cupcakes it did'nt clog the tip.
I filled choco cupcakes with the creme and iced with whipped ganache, super yummy!

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 10

I have also used the cream cheese/marshmallow Fluff mixture to fill cupcakes. I use the Bismark tip or tip # 12. If you find the mixture too thick, thin it out with liquid coffee creamer or coffee cream until it is of a "pipeable" consistency. You can also add equal quantities of imitation cream such as Betttercream to increase the yield.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 10

Fluff and marshmallow cream are a bit different. Fluff is firmer. It's more common aroud my parts (the northeast) than in the south/west regions. Marshmallow cream is runnier. Fluff is a main stay around here.. PB and Fluff sandwiches (aka fluffernutters) are almost every kid's favorite lunch. icon_lol.gif

My grandmother puts straight fluff in chocolate cupcakes.. it's gooood but messy.

serenelui Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 3:10am
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone for all your help. I don't have liquid coffee creamer at home at the moment.. so think i'll probably try using the marshmallow creme and directly pipe it into the cupcake. As for cleanup... after everything Doug said.. I'm starting to get worried... haha... Hmm... am now wondering whether it's possible to use the plug method i've read here on CC to do the piping so that it makes clean up much easier icon_smile.gif Think i'll try and see if it works, wish me luck!! I hate cleaning up.. haha...

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 10

Eh.. nothing soaking it in some warm water won't dissolve away. Have fun. I love marshmallow in cupcakes.. brings back good memories from being little. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%