Website Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Business By rachpizano Updated 17 Jan 2009 , 3:00am by mageliza

rachpizano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachpizano Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 4:08am
post #1 of 8

Hi guys I'm trying to do some reworking my business. I want to redo my website but I really need some help. I want my site to be really professional i know that there is a lot I need to up date but I don't know were to start. I cant afford a big time web designer. Right now I'm using yahoo site builder. This is my site... www.whowantscake.biz

I found this site and i really love it... http://www.patticakesinc.net/ but there are some things I don't know how to do so I was hoping someone could help me please.

One of the things I like the most is if you click on the pictures it takes you to "for example the wedding cake gallery" I really love how that is set up. but I have no idea how to do it. I love that when you click n the pic it doesn't take you to another page completely. Can anyone help me on this.

7 replies
kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 4:17am
post #2 of 8

i don't know anything about web design, but if the owner of your "dream site" is cc member, i am sure you could pm them and ask her for suggestions or some info of how she created her site. just an idea. sorry i am not more help

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 4:32am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachpizano

Hi guys I'm trying to do some reworking my business. I want to redo my website but I really need some help. I want my site to be really professional i know that there is a lot I need to up date but I don't know were to start. I cant afford a big time web designer. Right now I'm using yahoo site builder. This is my site... www.whowantscake.biz

I found this site and i really love it... http://www.patticakesinc.net/ but there are some things I don't know how to do so I was hoping someone could help me please.

One of the things I like the most is if you click on the pictures it takes you to "for example the wedding cake gallery" I really love how that is set up. but I have no idea how to do it. I love that when you click n the pic it doesn't take you to another page completely. Can anyone help me on this.

I went to the patticakesinc.net link you referenced and I can tell you from experience that you must learn at least some basics of HTML in order to create a website without a "builder" such as you are using with Yahoo.
Like you, I wanted to know how those kinds of sites were created and found out in order to create one I had to learn HTML. I learned a lot and have successfully built and dismantled 2 sites of my own.
My recommendation to you is to go to purchase a good book on learning HTML. Research the Internet for free HTML help guides, there are many of them to be found. Everything from HTML color charts to the language itself can be found with little effort by using the Google search engine.

Don't let it scare you. It is overwhelming at first but soon you will start to understand how it works. It then becomes fun. Once you have created just one single page from HTML you will understand why it costs so much to hire your website to be created and maintained. It is long hours and not without headaches.

Not sure I have been much help for you but hopefully have given you a start to learning HTML and what it takes to create your own personalized web pages.

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 4:51am
post #4 of 8

I started my career as a software and web developer and also highly recommend you learn to use HTML. You cannot do anything that remotely resembles a professionally built site without it.

HTML is relatively simple, it's nowhere near complex as programming languages used to build software so have no fear. Just look up HTML tutorials on the internet and away you go.

Good luck.

rachpizano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachpizano Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the help. Its all seems to confusing and scary icon_sad.gif I will see how far I can get with it on my own but in the end I might just have to bit the bullet and hire someone icon_cry.gif thanks again

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachpizano

Thanks for the help. Its all seems to confusing and scary icon_sad.gif I will see how far I can get with it on my own but in the end I might just have to bit the bullet and hire someone icon_cry.gif thanks again

Take a course or two at a local college!

I plan to once hubby graduates in April.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:17am
post #7 of 8

Rach, I use sitebuilder on yahoo and you can do what patticakes has on it's homepage very easily
Open sitebuilder, open your homepage insert say a wedding cake to link to that page while it has the blue dotted lines around it click on the link symbol at the top of the menu bar, it will open and ask what type of link you want, to another page in your site, how it will open, then create. Also save it then publish it when you've created all your picture links.
I just did it to see if it works and it does.

hth

mageliza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mageliza Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 3:00am
post #8 of 8

Hey rachpizano,

An image is no different than a link. you need 1 page that has the image on it and another page to link to. Here is the basic HTML to do this.

http://www.w3schools.com/HTML/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_imglink

The tricky thing is how to do the cool image gallery. You might consider using a free tool like Weebly.com Photo gallery http://blog.weebly.com/2/post/2008/09/new-photo-gallery.html then importing the code to your site.

In other words, you can use the easy drag and drop tool to get things the way you want them then upload it to you own webhost.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%