Funny Question:

Decorating By rcsnickers2 Updated 1 Jan 2009 , 8:44pm by rcsnickers2

rcsnickers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcsnickers2 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:07am
post #1 of 9

I am just starting to make cake for orders. Actually, just sold my first cake today! Plus, got a second order when they saw the cake! Anyway, do you write happy birthday on the cake or only when requested? I am not sure how to go about. Like if I decorate the whole cake and not write anything will they be shocked or should I ask? If not, just assume they want the celebration written on the cake?

I was not sure where to ask this and hope it is not too stupid of a question.

Thanks

8 replies
katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:16am
post #2 of 9

Yes, ask your customer what they want written on the cake along with the color. They may want the border in one color and have it written in another. This is what I ask anyway.

HTH
Kat

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:27am
post #3 of 9

Definitely ask. Many people assume it's a given that a birthday cake says happy birthday. It doesn't matter that they didn't tell you to put it on there .... they ASSUME that "everyone KNOWS....." you put H.B. on a birthday cake.

Ask.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 3:03am
post #4 of 9

For cakes other than wedding cakes, here's what I ask:

When do you need it?
How many people do you need to feed?
Are you looking for a sheet-style, layer, or tiered?
What flavor cake?
What design?*
*The above question usually leads to what colors, theme, etc.
What should I write on it?
What time do you want to pick it up?

...Sure I can do that for you. It would come to $XX.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 4:09am
post #5 of 9

I always ask, and if they insist on writing (which I really don't like to do on a cake) then I work it into the design in the form of a banner, gift tag, scroll etc., or write it on the board.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 4:25am
post #6 of 9

I always ask what they want written on the cake along with the flavor ..how many they have to feed. what shape ,colors, when they need it etc, and always get a phone # to...
Some people just want the words Happy Birthday.. others want a name some want age added.

rcsnickers2 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks!!!! I actually asked all those questions except if they want anything written!!! Thanks!!!!!

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:04pm
post #8 of 9

For birthdays I usually make a gumpaste plaque with Happy birthday, blah blah blah.... Everyone prefers this. Me too! Most people like it because they can take a picture easier.

rcsnickers2 Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks!!!! I actually asked all those questions except if they want anything written!!! Thanks!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%