Anybody Made The Caramel Cake With Brown Sugar Icing?

Decorating By drwendy Updated 1 Jan 2009 , 12:10am by sparklepopz

drwendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drwendy Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 2

Has anyone made the recipe from this site "caramel cake with brown sugar icing?" I'm wondering what I did wrong (this time!). The cake is wonderful and the icing TASTES great, but it set up so fast I couldn't even frost the cake properly...it got dry and gritty while I was trying to use it, almost like a very loose fudge . Didn't smooth at all, any way. We're going to eat it tonight and I'm afraid it might even be crunchy in texture. I did everything it said, and the texture seemed OK for about 5 minute,s, but it crusted up in no time and became usable only because I had nothing else made to use. Any ideas on what I may have done wrong?

1 reply
sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 12:10am
post #2 of 2

It sounds like you got your sugar too hot or it recrystallized on you. I hate recipes that call for cooking sugar by time rather than by temperature. There's a recipe in the WBH I tried which called for cooking sugar for x number of minutes...well I have copper cookware, which cooks extremely fast, and my sugar was a horrendous scorched mess. Sorry that doesn't help you much. You can always add a tablespoon or so of corn syrup to cooked sugar recipes so that recrystallization does not occur.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%