Chemical Taste To Lorann Flavoring?

Decorating By tuffstuff Updated 2 Jan 2009 , 5:24pm by Petit-four

tuffstuff Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 8

Gah! I give up on Lorann flavorings... I just tried to put some in a pudding based filling (I used coconut) and it ruined the whole batch icon_mad.gif
It gave it a nasty chemically flavor. This happened when I tried it out in some buttercream, too.
The only application that hasn't been too bad is using a bit in my doctored cake mix. Since I extend it, if it's pineapple, strawberry or lemon mix, I add a 1/4 tsp of the matching flavor.
Everyone seems to love these things though! Am I the only person tasting the weird chemical after taste? I wish they worked for me. icon_sad.gif

7 replies
Someonesmommy Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 8

I've never used the coconut flavoring before but I have used pralines n cream, cheesecake and bavarian cream. I used them all in mixes, buttercream and pudding. I haven't noticed a chemical taste. But with that said I've used the grape flavoring to make lollipops and they do have a funny taste and ended up throwing them away they were so bad.

-K8memphis Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 8

I add Lorann oil by the drop. It's very strong.

FlourPots Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 12:50am
post #4 of 8

I used coconut and pineapple (separately) in smoothies and hated it, ended up switching to DaVinci's sugar free syrups instead...YUM!

I do want to try the butter flavored one to make Macmom's MMF.

Someonesmommy Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 1:05am
post #5 of 8

I dont know if this would make a difference but I've never tasted my flavored fondant right after I made it. Maybe letting it sit for awhile would help? Dunno what else would help.

linedancer Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 8

I am with you, tuffstuff, I have used Lorann's a couple of times, chocolate and rootbeer. Maybe I use too much, or maybe it is just me, but I think the flavorings leave a terrible aftertaste in your mouth.

MaisieBake Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 8

They all taste like flavorings to me-- for example "cherry" flavor but not cherries, just like cherry/red life savers taste nothing like the actual fruit.

Petit-four Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 8

I agree with k8 -- the flavorings are designed for candy, and are quite strong. For baked good enhancements, I use only a few drops. The lemon, orange, and lime are all-natural, and quite good. I had a very bad experience with chocolate hazelnut in any amount.

So it seems to be hit-and-miss.

Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%