Sugar Shaper/clay Gun

Decorating By sjbeatty8 Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm by cheatize

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 18

I saw this wonderful Sugar Shaper tool in my new Lindy Smith book and they look wonderful.... However I can only find them online for sale in the UK... Does anyone know a place to get one??? Or will a clay gun work the same.
Thoughts on how they work??

TIA

17 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 3:22am
post #2 of 18

I have this. It's also called a sug-ar-craft gun. I hate it. Unless you really add a lot of crisco to the fondant to soften it, it's hard on the hands and the tube is too small to get much out of it.

I prefer the Makin's Ultimate Clay extruder (light green metal with a "T" twist handle). Easy on the hands, long ropes of fondant, don't need to add much crisco to soften the fondant (if any crisco at all). Also, lots cheaper than the "Sugar Shaper".

HTH
Rae

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 18

Hi, I have that and I love it. Here a link from Country Kitchen Sweetart,

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=630263

Its a bit expencive from there.

Here is another link from Global Sugar Art, and their one is a bit cheaper.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=20006

If you do any decorations with fondant, use lot of shortening. If you are using gumpaste, do exactly what Lindy Smith has mentioned on her book. Then it will be very easy for you to use.

HTH.

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 18

I bought the Makin's Ultimate Clay extruder at OSSAS last year. All the Food Network cakers were buying them and swore to me it would be a good buy. It cost 30.00 and I LOVE IT!!!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 12:13am
post #5 of 18

I have the black and red one and the mkins one and i like both of them for different uses.

I know a source for the red one that is even cheaper....PM me.

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 12:39pm
post #6 of 18

What exactly is a clay gun used for. I have never seen or used one. I want to expand my decorating skills and knowledge. Is this a tool that would be used often Thanks

bashini Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by maude

What exactly is a clay gun used for. I have never seen or used one. I want to expand my decorating skills and knowledge. Is this a tool that would be used often Thanks

It is a very useful tool for me. It has 16 discs with different shaped holes on them. I use it to do borders on cakes. And when I make figures, use it to do the hair too. Here is a link from Cakes and More site on how use it.

http://www.cakesandmore.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=246

HTH.

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 18

Thanks for the info bashini, I think I may invest in one of these guns, can it be used with gumpaste as well as fondant?

bashini Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:10pm
post #9 of 18

Yes. when you use it for fondant, make sure you knead loads of shortening into fondant. Then it make so much easier to use it.

And you have to knead lots of shortening to gumpaste as well. And then dip the gumpaste in some warm water and knead it again. So the consistancy should be as of a chewing gum. That is the consistancy you need to have.

icon_smile.gif

CakeTopper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeTopper Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 18

I have the black and red sugar gun and absolutely love it. I typically use good ol' humble Wilton fondant when making my little characters. I've never had to add shortening as it is the perfect consistency - at least for my uses ; )

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 2:56pm
post #11 of 18

I have the black and red one as well ($35 at ckproducts). I love it. I've found that MMF goes through it MUCH easier than Wilton or Satin Ice. Of couse, the smaller the opening in the disc, the more difficult it is to extrude. I was making small flat stripes for bumble bees and it was taking me forever and killing my hand, my DH came over to help me, he was able to push it through in the amount of time it took me to wrap the previous stripe around the bee so hand strength helps a lot too. I also love it for roping and borders.

JaLa90016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaLa90016 Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 3:07pm
post #12 of 18

I have the Ultimate Clay Extruder with the "T" twist top. It is SO easy to use and I bought it for $19.00 on ebay. I also have the other one and its hard on my hands.

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 4 Jan 2009 , 4:52am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I have this. It's also called a sug-ar-craft gun. I hate it. Unless you really add a lot of crisco to the fondant to soften it, it's hard on the hands and the tube is too small to get much out of it.

I prefer the Makin's Ultimate Clay extruder (light green metal with a "T" twist handle). Easy on the hands, long ropes of fondant, don't need to add much crisco to soften the fondant (if any crisco at all). Also, lots cheaper than the "Sugar Shaper".

HTH
Rae

I just bought one of these at Hobby Lobby today and I LOVE IT!!! I've been playing around with MMF scraps all day and its really easy to use.

sweetsadiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsadiecakes Posted 15 Jun 2009 , 5:42pm
post #14 of 18

I just baught the Makins green one and have been playing around with it. I think I would like the sugarcraft gun better because I'd like to be able to squeez it instead of twist. I might return it and buy the red and black one. It looks great!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 1:11am
post #15 of 18

I have the red/black one and love it. To me it is very easy to work. Use it to pipe out strings to write with...flat lines...several different uses. The Makins discs will also fit this gun.

verosuperstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verosuperstar Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:12am
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someonesmommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

HTH
Rae

I just bought one of these at Hobby Lobby today and I LOVE IT!!! I've been playing around with MMF scraps all day and its really easy to use.

verosuperstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verosuperstar Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 4:17am
post #17 of 18

Well, I copied the post that I wanted but I guess don't know exactly where to put my post after that. My question was for someonesmommy, wich one did you buy at hobby Lobby and in what sectiond you founf it?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 16 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm
post #18 of 18

My store has it in the clay section hanging on a peg. It's green and isn't very big. It took me awhile to find it because I was expecting it to be a lot bigger for some reason.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%