Wilton Clear Vanilla Extract Smell

Decorating By QueLinda Updated 31 Dec 2008 , 11:02pm by HerBoudoir

QueLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueLinda Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know if this should smell like vanilla or alcohol? I bought a brand new bottle last night and opened it and it smells like alcohol. I've been using a wedding bouquet blend (which smells yummy) for quite sometime and ran out so I'm using the wilton old faithfuls, It's been so long ago that I've used wilton and maybe it has always smelled that way and never really noticed it and never had anything to compare it too.

Hope someone can help

Linda

6 replies
QueLinda Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 7

anyone??

sparklepopz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklepopz Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 7

Wilton clear vanilla should smell like vanilla. It sounds like yours has gone bad. I've had several bottles of clear vanilla (Wilton and CK brand) go bad, and they smell like pure alcohol when they do.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 7

Yeah, I usually buy the big bottles from Michaels or Hobby Lobby, but late one night I ran out and had to get it from Walmart, and in a little bottle. When I got home, I opened it and it smelled like pure alcohol! I thought I was just crazy (it was 1am), so I woke up my hubby so he could smell it. He said the same thing! I just quit for the night, got some sleep and ran out the next morning to go get more.

Good luck!

QueLinda Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 7

Oh good, I thought I was going crazy for a moment. I will definately return it.

Thanks for you help.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 7

Yikes, now you got me thinking! I went and my bottle of wilton vanilla and sure enough, it was like I went to the medicine cabinet and opened the bottle of rubbing alcohol!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 7

Extract is about 35% or so alcohol, so it may smell like alcohol - but the primary aroma should be vanilla.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%