Interesting Dummy Cake Request For Cake-Hating Fiance

Business By Chef_Stef Updated 31 Dec 2008 , 9:11pm by idgalpal

Chef_Stef Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 13

I've been asked to do a full dummy wedding cake for the first time.

This bride says her fiance hates cake, so they've agreed on a dessert table and are feeding each other chocolate covered strawberries, but then she also mentions they are having "funfetti cupcakes", whatever that means.

She says she's always dreamed of a cake at her reception and wants a display cake ("simply decorated white cake with fresh roses"). She mentions that lots of her friends have recommended me, etc.

I totally don't like the idea of doing a display cake but having her guests think I made the cupcakes. Who knows where they're coming from. icon_confused.gif If she wasn't serving cake of any kind, I'd feel more interested. I also don't want to make her 300 cupcakes, even if I could convert her fiance to loving my cake, because I hate cupcakes, so...

I need to write her back asap. What would you say to this bride?

12 replies
cookieman Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 13

Do you really need the business? If not, I would just write back and say "no thank you" in a very diplomatic way leaving the door open for future business.

mrsw Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 13

Hmmm well "funfetti" is just a Pillsberry box cake with sprinkles in the mix - A tough call to be sure. A great advertising opportunity for you, but then what, have a sign by the cake that says " I did not make those cupcakes" icon_confused.gif Good luck with what ever you decide.

yeastconfection Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 13

This is probably another Bride who thinks she will save money by doing a dummy. The whole thing about her fiance doesn't like cake so we want a dummy but we are also getting 300 cupcakes (which is cake!) doesn't make any sense.

Lorendabug Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 13

If she has not paid any fees/deposits for the date that makes it easy.

I am sorry but I am booked but appreciate your inquiry. Good luck with your special day.

Of course make it sound better than that but you know what I mean.

She does not need to know your reasons.

FlowerGirlMN Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 13

I'm with yeastconfection on that.

Chef_Stef Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks guys. I forgot all about asking her what her date is! There's my out...

I don't need the business, and I'd rather save any open dates for REAL cake orders.

I wondered about the cupcakes, too! If they wanted to serve cake to their cake-loving guests (but not her fiance), why not get a wedding cake (like she dreams of), and still just feed each other strawberries?

Chef_Stef Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 13

I told her I'm sorry, but I'm booked on her weekend. I need to save my prime summer weekends for REAL CAKE orders.

Thanks guys!

Cascades Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 13

I had this happen to me just two weeks ago. Bride comes to me about three months ago and wants a small cake to feed roughly 50 people for her wedding in Dec. She says that she doesn't like cake and she is having a desert table instead with lots of different pastries. I say ok and take the cake.

I go to deliver the cake and it is on this huge table (way too big for the size of the cake). I figure they are going to put the pastries on it later. I can see the wedding is a very large wedding, so I ask the site manager how many people they expect. He tells me 250 people.

A week later I have another bride come to book with me. She says you did the (blank) wedding last week. I say yes. She says she loved the look of the cake. I say it looked so small on that big table, did they put all the pastries around it? She says there were no pastries, just sheet cakes in the back. (she thought they tasted like Costco cakes).

What are you gonna do!!!

Chef_Stef Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 13

Hmm.

So maybe in these economic times we should be on the watch for brides who admit they're having 200 guests but only want 25 servings of an expensive cake.

Maybe this is why some bakers have minimum orders. I've done some small wedding cakes, but they were for tiny weddings...

FlowerGirlMN Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 8:54pm
post #11 of 13

"Quality Control - NO cake from another vendor is permitted to be served at an event where Celebration Generations cake is served. Violation of this policy could mean forfeiture of the cake and all monies paid at no compensation to the purchaser. "

Cascades Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 8:58pm
post #12 of 13

Flowergirl,

Noted! I am making up a new contract for the first of the year and those exact words sound great!!

idgalpal Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 9:11pm
post #13 of 13

Man oh man, I learn so much on this site!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%