Will This Method Work For Filling Cupcakes?

Decorating By ElusiveMuse Updated 31 Dec 2008 , 11:33am by Mike1394

ElusiveMuse Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 8:48am
post #1 of 3

In a Martha Stewart recipe, it says to freeze chocolate ganache in ice cube trays and place one frozen ganache square into the little cakes before baking, so it will be a molten center.

Can you do this with other things, like pastry cream or jam? What about if you wanted to put a candy center, like a cherry cordial? Should you freeze it first so it doesn't melt right off the bat?

I know there are other methods of filling but this one seems like kind of a convenient short cut if it works.

2 replies
gales Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 11:12am
post #2 of 3

I'm not an expert but I suppose it would depend on what temperature each of the fillings gets to and what the melting properties of them were. It is much more scientific than it seems. But you could always try some out and see as long as you dont mind having some spectacular deisasters and things oozing out and sticking to your cake tins.#

Cream however, I think would be a big no no to cook within a cake

Mike1394 Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 11:33am
post #3 of 3

This technique is for things that aren't easily piped in. I wouldn't do a pastry cream, but certainly different flavored ganaches. The pastry cream is creamy enough to where it can be injected.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%