Clay Gun/extruder - Trigger Or Twist? Which Do You Recommend

Decorating By dessert1st Updated 1 Jan 2009 , 9:05am by tonedna

dessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessert1st Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 7:10am
post #1 of 7

I am hoping to purchase a clay extruder (or gun) on my next shopping trip when I visit my daughter. Help, I can't remember if the majority of you recommended the trigger style or the twist style? Thanks!

6 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 7:21am
post #2 of 7

I am no help but I like both for different reasons.

The one with the trigger I can squeeze with one hand and apply strings and things directly onto the cake from the gun as the other guides the string where i want it to fall. I also like the disc set better with this one.

But the twist kind can hold more, gets stuck less often, and it s bit cheaper. But you have to extrude onto the counter, then pick up the strings to apply to the cake when you use this one.

So I have and love both! LOL

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 7:33am
post #3 of 7

I finally got my clay gun from Michael's and I pay like 5 dollars and I love it, it works really nice for me. thumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 3:12am
post #4 of 7

I adore the Makin's Ultimate Clay Extruder (pale green metal with "T" twist handle). I used my Michael's coupon for it (not all Michael's carry it) and paid about $10 for it.

I have the red & black shugerkraft (sp) gun with the trigger and I hate it and never use it.

I tried the small, plastic or metal push-types and found them to be hard on the hands and useless.

HTH
Rae

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 4:46am
post #5 of 7

I can't STAND the twist one cause it takes so darn long to twist it all the way! and then back up!! the push one is harder on the hands, but still much faster. and if you microwave a small bit of fondant first it will zoom right thru.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 8:36am
post #6 of 7

I don't microwave my fondant what i just do is I put a little ball of crisco in and push it like I will do with the fondant and then a put my fondant in and it work perfect and super easy, I hope it make sense thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 1 Jan 2009 , 9:05am
post #7 of 7

I like the twist one...the other one you need muscles to push that thing!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%