Epiphany Cake?

Decorating By jlsheik Updated 31 Dec 2008 , 5:00am by Doug

jlsheik Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 2:23am
post #1 of 8

I was contacted today about doing a Epiphany cake for a local church. The lady has seen my work and just said they want it white with gold accents.....3 tiered!
What on earth is Epiphany? I didnt want to be stupid...but I'm Baptist, the last epiphany we had was, when they decided to move childrens church down the hall!! lol
But seriously any ideas would be apreciated!!

7 replies
liapsim Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 2:29am
post #2 of 8

Hi....I found this on an Epiphany cake. It might be helpful to you...says it's traditionally a spice cake and it has a trinket baked inside (like the mardi gras king cake).... check the link out!

Good luck! HTH!

http://www.wf-f.org/epiphany.html

Ruth0209 Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 2:36am
post #3 of 8

According to Wikipedia:
Epiphany (Greek for "to manifest" or "to show"), is a Christian feast day which celebrates the "shining forth" or revelation of God in human form in the person of Jesus Christ. The Feast of the Epiphany falls on January 6. Western Christians commemorate the visitation of the Magi to the child Jesus on this day, i.e., his manifestation to the Gentiles. Eastern Christians commemorate the baptism of Jesus in the Jordan River, his manifestation as the Son of God to the world.

Doug Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 3:11am
post #4 of 8

oh sooooooo many possibilities!!!!

(and it's also called the Feast of the Three Kings)

could make three separate cakes -- one each to symbolize the three gifts of the Magi

Gold (to honor Christ as King)
Frankincense (to honor Christ as Lord God)
Myrrh (to honor Christ as Savior)

each would look like a little treasure/gift chest. each could be on a pillow.

-----

since she said 3 tiered---> how about each tier is a separate chest and they've been stacked one on the other?

---

to stack gifts I'd put gold on bottom, frankincense on middle and myrrh on top tier.

----

and here's a drawing I saved long ago for just such an opportunity
LL

rlowry03 Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 3:28am
post #5 of 8

You might consider visiting the church to see how it is decorated. I know many churches have specific cloths they drape and hang with different colors/designs for each season. There may be one they use for the epiphany. You could match the cake to it.

Doug Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 3:42am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlowry03

You might consider visiting the church to see how it is decorated. I know many churches have specific cloths they drape and hang with different colors/designs for each season. There may be one they use for the epiphany. You could match the cake to it.

in nearly every church tradition -- WHITE (often w/ gold accents) hence the request for a white cake w/ gold.

for a very complete cross comparison listing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liturgical_colours

---------

two more thoughts --

1) a very traditional image for Epiphany is the Star of Bethlehem (which led the Magi there) -- so could work that in.

a very common saying you could use on the cake that references the star: Wise Men Still Follow His Star

template for a Bethlehem type star cake --> http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1169350.html

2) you may want to look at the results of this Google search for church Epiphany banners for some more ideas as to designs and themes
http://www.google.com/search?q=church+epiphany+banners&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-25,GGGL:en

jlsheik Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 4:37am
post #7 of 8

Thank you, thank you, awesome replys !! I will start digging in to all the info....I will let you know how it comes out!
Laura

Doug Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 5:00am
post #8 of 8

and here's a design idea.

three tiers -- offset so get on side where they all are flush.

on that side, the star (and if not too much the words "Wise Men Still Follow His Star")

directly opposite -- the words

NOT shown (just couldn't draw it -- not that skilled)

on the very top - a small creche (aka manger scene) of Baby Jesus in the manger and the 3 wise men in adoration around him.

words, star and creche all in gold, cake white
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%