Can You Take A Cake On A Plane?

Decorating By CakesbyBecca Updated 31 Dec 2008 , 5:21am by BlakesCakes

CakesbyBecca Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 12:44am
post #1 of 5

I'm assuming the answer is a big old NO, but I thought I would ask anyway. I'm flying to Oregon in March for my little sister's baby shower. We're really close and this is her first baby and I would LOVE to make her a very special cake. The problem is I won't be flying in until the night before the shower, so I won't have time to do a cake for her once I get there and shipping it makes me too nervous. If I can't carry a cake on with me, I think I'll make her some cute sugar cookies, but I'd much rather make a cake. Does anyone have experience with cakes and planes?

4 replies
bisbqueenb Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 1:18am
post #2 of 5

I had a friend 'transport' her moms 75th birthday on the plane. We put the finished cake in a clear plastic box so it could be plainly seen that it is really a went thru the various machines...and LOTS of folks stopped to talk to her and see the cake. Just make sure it is in the size limits given by the airlines to fit in the above seat compartments or under the seat.

ac2steachk Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 1:34am
post #3 of 5

I have taken a few cakes on the plane. I put it in a sturdy cardboard box and mark "birthday cake" on each side, then tie it with string. I tell the security people what I have and ask them to be careful with it in the x-ray machine. On board, I put the cake under the seat in front of me so I can hold the box steady with my feet. No problems yet!

wholeluis Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 2:26am
post #4 of 5

My dad made my wedding cake and he brought it from portugal to Canada. He had an empty seat beside him so that's where he put the cake.

BlakesCakes Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 5:21am
post #5 of 5

I've carried both decorated and undecorated cakes onto a plane (the fondant and butter cream were in packed luggage). I've never been given a 2nd look by security.

Quote by @%username% on %date%