Help Me Decide, Diamond Cutter Or Impression Mat?

Decorating By Joybeth Updated 31 Dec 2008 , 2:22pm by alvarezmom

Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 9

I recieved money for Christmas and I know I want a tool to make the diamonds on the sides of a cake. The problem is on all those cake websites there are way too many options. Cutters, impression mats, all different sizes... Can you tell me which is your favorite???? THANKS!!!

8 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 9

I use the one inch impression mat...... does a GREAT job, and no guess work........

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 11:51pm
post #3 of 9

I don't have a cutter, but I do like my impression mat. I'm really not sure what size it is either. It is very easy to use. If I had to guess the size, I would say from diamond tip to tip, it is probably a 1 in..but, that's just guessing....
I would like to get more in the different sizes myself, just to have a choice.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 9

I have both the diamond impression mat and the metal diamond quilter. I think the impression mat works better on buttercream and the diamond quilter on fondant. (Just my opinion)

Joybeth Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 3:11am
post #5 of 9

Okay thanks! I was kinda leaning towards the impression mat because I don't do a lot of fondant, but I wanted to make sure that it would work for both. Thanks for the info...
Joy

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 3:25am
post #6 of 9

the impression mat will work on fondnat but you have to impress it as soon as fondant is applied. you can also go over the lines with a quilting wheel if you want a sticthed look.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 4:10am
post #7 of 9

for a diamond cutter look for a set of square cutters then just pinch them into diamond shapes.

Joybeth Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 9

I never thought of that sweetcakes. Thanks for all the info!! I think I will go ahead and get the impression mat. Thanks for your help.
Joy

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 2:22pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for asking this question. I'm in the market for a diamond cutter but wasnt sure which one to try first or the size.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%