Best Cake Recipe To Use For Topsy Turvy Cakes?

Decorating By cakesBYcuento Updated 21 Jan 2009 , 7:08pm by biviana

cakesBYcuento Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 18

i was just wondering if there are certain types of cake recipes best used for topsy turvy cakes? i couldn't really find anything that could help me in the forum posts without going cross-eyed! ouch.gif ....or does that even matter? i really want to try it out but i'm too worried that my cakes are too soft and moist to support mulitple layers of cake without actually toppling over!

any help/insight is so very appreciated! icon_lol.gif

17 replies
kakeladi Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 18

My *original* WASC recipe is perfect for you needsicon_smile.gif

cakesBYcuento Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 18

thanks! is that posted in the recipes section?

mamacc Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 12:23am
post #4 of 18

WASC works as long as you don't carve the side angle too sharp....personally I don't use it for TT cakes after having to redo more than one tier that I carved too sharp.

You can also substitute one of the mixes in the WASC recipe for a pound cake mix.

CakeMakar Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 12:30am
post #5 of 18

I just asked a similar was recommended to me to try a mudcake recipe (you can find them here in CC, I believe its Boonati's) or a buttercake (indydebi's). WASC makes a nice cake, too as long as you're not opposed to box mixes. I just used the white chocolate WASC (look on recipezaar) and it worked beautifully.

cakesBYcuento Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 2:40am
post #6 of 18

i've never tried to make wasc yet, so i guess here's my chance! especially a white chocolate one...that sounds so scrumptious! i'm all about the white chocolate!!

CakeMakar Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 2:51am
post #7 of 18

Eh, it wasn't too white chocolate-y tasting. It was delicious. I'd recommend putting more in. icon_biggrin.gif Though I don't know how it effects the cake chemistry so....

sugarshack Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 3:22am
post #8 of 18

the Durable cake recipe here on CC is great for that

Frankyola Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 3:54am
post #9 of 18

I couldn't find the link but this is Kakeladi WASC recipe, this is what I have in my notes:

white Almond sour cream Here is the ORIGINAL WASC recipe:

1 pkg Betty Crocker white cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3 whole eggs (even for white cakes)
1 cup water
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon almond emulsion (stronger than flavoring)

In a bowl, mix 1st 3 ingredients. (see notes below) Set aside.
Place remaining ingredients in mixer bowl then add the dry.
Mix on low (I use a KA mixer) speed for 30 seconds, until dry ingredients are incorporated; mix at medium 2 minutes.
This makes 1 & 1/2 times the usual batter than a 'straight' cake mix. It will fill one of the following pans: 8" sq; 12" round; 9x13x2; OR one 10" and 6" round.
Pour into pan(s) and bake as you usually do. I prefere to bake at 300 degrees F. for 20 minutes, then turn oven up to 325 degrees F. for an equal time OR until you can smell cake If it has pulled away from the edges of the pan it is *over done*. You should have a flat cake that won't (usually) need leveling & is not sticky on the top when it cools.

Special NOTES:
That's right.......there is NO oil, butter or margarine in this recipe.
Use large eggs.
If almond extract (not emulsion) is used, add 2 teaspoons or to taste.
Can use ANY cake flavor
Flavorings can change depending on cake flavor you use. Try a combination of 1 part vanilla, 1/2 part butter flavoring and 1/4 part almond.
It is important to mix the dry ingredients well especially if using a chocolate mix or you will have white spots in the finished cake. I use a wire wisk.

Right now I do not have a scratch recipe.
Over the next 4-5 months I can work on coming up with one but I will be baking at a *very* high elevation (8,500 ft) so that will effect the overall out come of the recipe.

The difference between only egg whites & whole eggs: Overall you will have a stronger cake using whole eggs. If you need/want a truer white color only white can be use but to me the differece is so slight it's not worth the loss of strength.
Ooooopps I forgot the salt - as usual! I seldom remember to add a generous dash of salt.
Some people say adding oil to a mix makes a better 'crumb'. I have stopped adding it once I found out you can make it w/o and still have a very tasty, moist cake. I discovered that when reading about sub'ing applesauce (or any fruit puree) for oil in recipes.

I hope this can help, for me is the best recipe ever I don't make another one unless I have to make chocolate o other flavor, but even for strawberry cake I use this I just buy the strawberry mix, and add strawberry flavor I LOOOOOVE this cake.[/b]

CakeMakar Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 4:55am
post #10 of 18

The links to the WASC cake. The second one lists the white chocolate variation, as well as others.

I've been dying to try the White Chocolate Whisper cake by Rose Beranbaum. Lots of people here on CC swear by it and if you're a white chocolate fan, perhaps you'd be interested?
It's in the Cake Bible, but here's a link to it online...

cakesBYcuento Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 18

icon_eek.gif thanks for all the recipes and tips!!!

MacsMom Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 4:32pm
post #12 of 18

Ditto on the WASC recipe - it's all I use anymore. (Changing flavors, of course). For intricate carving, adding 8 oz melted chocolate makes it more sturdy.

mommakristin Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 8:34pm
post #13 of 18

Okay I am so using this recipe today to make a cake. My only question is with the flavorings.. If you don't want to use almond do you just substitute that for a different flavoring? For example.. strawberry, or raspberry????

I noticed someone saying to use a different betty cake mix if you want a different flavoring.

My other question has to do with a chocolate cake. How would that work? Do I follow the same recipe with a chocolate cake mix or what?

It seems like I am repeating myself. SORRY!! Just trying to get it down before I waste cake!!!

CakeMakar Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 9:32pm
post #14 of 18

It's okay. Yes, for the most part, if you want a different flavor of WASC than white, you just use a different cake mix. You can use complementary extracts for the flavoring. The second link I gave you for the WASC on recipezaar will give you some ideas on substitutions. But for the most part, if you want a chocolate vanilla sour cream cake, you just use a chocolate cake mix and vanilla instead of almond. You can also use two different cake mixes. . .like a pound cake for one to give you an even denser texture, or two different flavors like French Vanilla & Strawberry.

kakeladi Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 9:51pm
post #15 of 18

Regarding my original WASC recipe:
Yes! one can use *any* flavor cake mix. You want a strawberry cake? Use a sb mix. You want a chocolate cake use a choco mix.
For the sb cake you might just use vanilla extract alone or about 2 tsp vanilla and 1 of strawberry extract.
For chocolate the v,b,a mix works very well!
For a banana cake - van w/ban extract..........and on & on.

The one thing I have found is when using choco cake mix w/the other dry ingredients, the 'dump method' some use might result in white spots in the finished cake......that is the reason for mixing the dry ingredients together well w/a wire whisk before adding to the wet.

MacsMom Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 10:19pm
post #16 of 18

When using other flavored cakes, I'll use a complementary flavored yogurt instaed of sourcream (orange, banana, strawberry, pina colada...). I also use flavored coffee creamers in place of half of the amount of water called for (1-1/3 c creamer, 1-1/3 c water).

For chocolate, which tends to be much more dense, I've begun using only 1-2/3 flour, 1/3 c cocoa powder, and 1/4 c cornstarch. I also use coffee instead of water and increase the liquid by 1/4 c (just add 1/4 c extra coffee).

mommakristin Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 11:58pm
post #17 of 18

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you

Again I thank you for your help on my questions!

biviana Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 7:08pm
post #18 of 18

Quote by @%username% on %date%