Corona Beer Bottle Cake -- Help!

Decorating By jcaste Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 2:50pm by jacobmartin

jcaste Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 10

I will be making a cake for a cousin of mine & it is for tomorrow. My time ran out. icon_eek.gif

I will be making a beer bottled shape cake & my plan was to print an edible image & place it on top of fondant. My problem is that the print out doesnt come out very clear. The small words look a bit blurry. Any suggestions? All the pics I found on line are small so once I enlarge it, it looks blurry. Im printing the image on a 1/4 sheet.

9 replies
Doug Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 10

got a bottle of the real stuff handy?

if yes (even if you do have to make a shopping run....hint hint!) ....

soak off the label GENTLY.

while still wet place on a white paper towel.

pat dry and leave on paper towel for ease of handling

take it to your scanner.

set resolution for at least 300 dpi

put paper towel w/ label on it in scanner

scan.

save as a JPG (jpeg) at highest quality setting.

now can import into Publisher or any other software as an image and stretch to full size with little to no loss of image quality at this point.

print at BEST setting --- and here's the gotchas!

most inkjet type printers really can't do tiny-tiny (6pt and smaller) type clearly

and icing sheets aren't paper --- and will not be able to show the super tiny print as well as paper would

CakesByLJ Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 10

I managed to "peel" the labels off my Samual Adams bottle pretty easily.. took them to the scanner just like Doug explained so well... thumbs_up.gif

JaLa90016 Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 12:09am
post #4 of 10

Thanks Doug!!! This info is definetly worthy because I have always wondered what the dsp should be set at for my scanner.

Happy New Years!!!

k33bl3r Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 5:58am
post #5 of 10

That's a cool idea. You should DEF post pictures when you can!

muddpuppy Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 10

I recently did the same kinda cake! lol! My printed image was also a little blurry so I piped ri over the text on the lable.. turned out nice..imo..lol

AudreysCakes Posted 27 May 2010 , 11:24pm
post #7 of 10

Hi all this information is wonderful. I dont have a printer that had edible ink, what other alternatives do I have? I would love to invest in a printer so I can print out labels and such, can you suggest a good printer? I'm going to attempt making a corona bottle cake in august and need the lable. Any help would be great.

andreamen1 Posted 27 May 2010 , 11:45pm
post #8 of 10

yeah but the only prob there is that the corona does not have a wrapper on it.

AudreysCakes Posted 28 May 2010 , 12:00am
post #9 of 10

haha. Okay so then what do you do to get the lettering? since the bottle is glass and has the letters imprinted on it, what suggestions are out there so create that image? Stencil on fondant?

jacobmartin Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:50pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaste

I will be making a cake for a cousin of mine & it is for tomorrow. My time ran out. icon_eek.gif

I will be making a beer bottled shape cake & my plan was to print an edible image & place it on top of fondant. My problem is that the print out doesnt come out very clear. The small words look a bit blurry. Any suggestions? All the pics I found on line are small so once I enlarge it, it looks blurry. Im printing the image on a 1/4 sheet.

I think you should buy a www.coronaextra.co.uk bucket as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%