Attn: Kansas City, Mo Area Bakers!

Business By ribby0224 Updated 3 Jan 2009 , 1:23am by iamlis

ribby0224 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 5

I wanted to get your opinions on the need for a local cake supply shop here. I have been thinking about opening a shop that supplies some wilton stuff and some things that are not generally carried by the big stores like Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc. I wanted to see if this is something that is a need and will be profitable for me and beneficial to local bakers. If this is something that is needed, what items would you like to see be made available? Any support, advice and information would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies
ribby0224 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 5

Where are all my local ladies and gents?

leaisagary Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 5

I would say there are things I wish I could go get at the local stores that they just dont have, I think they dont have enough varity of luster dusts, cake stands,unique cake boards and boxes and even some pans are unavailable. I would definitly be excited about a store like this being opened locally, I thought of the idea of mixing a bakery and supplies store with a party supplies store, I think the closest thing we do have is some little mexican bakerys in the northeast area of kansas city

korkyo Posted 2 Jan 2009 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 5

Great idea, it will just take a lot of research to decide which way to go with it.

I live in belton and get most of my stuff from Bakers. I like it because, being a business owner, I can get things at cost. They do not carry some of the things I need like dust, better quality plates, cutters etc. so I get those things from the internet. I don't like paying for shipping but there is no choice.

Based on that, I would suggest things that can't be purchased at Michaels and Bakers. Sure you will need the general stock but I would like some of the fun stuff. Wilton is not the best brand out there, it would be good to see other options. I would definatly do party supplies in combination with it. That would get more people in the door. Maybe even some classes for adults and kids.

There are a few other shops around KC that sell supplies. I'd take some tours and see what they do. Most of the owners are nice and will visit with you about the business.

Best of luck, let us know what you decide!!

iamlis Posted 3 Jan 2009 , 1:23am
post #5 of 5

AWESOME! I haven't happened upon a cake shop that I don't like to stop in and buy something. Now, as a business owner-most staples are always going to be cheaper through United Bakers, Albert Uster or Dawn (not trying to be rude, just realistic) If I can get my staples at cost, that is the way I go. NOW saying all of that, I still love shopping at Cake supply stores, usually the older the better! Some things I LIKE about the cake shops across the city is selections of luster dusts and cake kits, assortment of cake pans-the more exotic the better!, finding MOLDS AND CUTTERS-I know they are expensive to stock and to buy but they are like hitting a goldmine for me!, Selections of candy molds and chocolates, CAKE MAGAZINES & BOOKS!, also CLEARLY priced items, I hate having to ask about the price of everything if not marked, sprinkles-sparkles-flavors & extracts, LARGE SELECTION OF FLORAL FOIL, maybe some plexi-plates.

Some things I dislike are...
Clutter and boxes of inventory just piled up in a bin-there might be a DEAL in the bottom of the bin-but I ain't gonna dig it out, Moldy display cakes (just don't have any if you can't maintain them), Odd hours-there is one shop in town that is NEVER open during their advertised makes me nuts to head out with a list and find the door locked. No website-even if you don't sell online-list your products in an organized fashion.

I will honestly say I teach Wilton for Michael's stores and you would be surprised HOW many people sign up-there are A LOT of moms out there, and hobbyists making cakes and would probably like another cake shop to buy from. I think it is a great idea also to have party ware! How many stressed out ladies and gents throwing the party wouldn't love one stop party shopping! Maybe even offer plain white sheet cakes for them to decorate or party cakes if you can/do decorate cake professionally in a licensed facility!

Sounds great to me, LOL and that is my $.02 icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%