Help !! I Love Fondant But !

Decorating By live2create Updated 31 Dec 2008 , 1:32am by tracey1970

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 11

I am so hoping someone will have some suggestions to my question. I have just started to use fondant and I really like the look, and the many things you can create with this product. Over Christmas I made a cake with fondant accents it was nice looking. My son told me the cake looks great but the fondant he could live without there is no taste. My base was buttercream frosting and he just pulled off the fondant pieces.
I now have a bride who wants the fondant but Iam having a hard time convincing myself the cake will taste the same with the fondant. Do most people decorate with fondant and base with butter cream and pull the fondant off to eat the cake. I know you can flavor the fondant perhaps this would help. But I also think the texture isn't as nice ( kinda chewy) I generally use the Wilton ready made. Are there other products out there that are better.
Any advice would be welcome, I also wanted all of you to know I so admire your work. The pictures of the cakes I have seen are awesome. Thank you so much for inspiring me.

Thanks for the help

10 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 11

Whatever you do, you don't want to use Wilton fondant! I make my own fondant, and this is the recipe that I use....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

It is super easy to make, and astes wonderful. It's much cheaper than buying premade too.

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 11

May I ask what kind of fondant you are using? Wiltons tastes like a chemical cocktail to me. I like the taste and texture of both MMF and Michelle Fosters fondant.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 11

OK, so Americans don't like to chew their icing....but there are WAY better options than that horrid Wilton stuff!

Check out other threads on the subject.

Try making the MMF-most seem to like that. Also try other brands of fondant: SatinIce, Pettinice, Fondx, ChocoPan (a chocolate-based fondant)etc.

Many of us flavor our fondant with extracts or Lorann Oils- I like to use the Bavarian cream flavor oil.

Keep experimenting until you come up with something you like!

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 11

I recently tried Michele Foster's Fondant, and the taste is MUCH better! I also use Satin Ice.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 11

I've found that even when I use the good tasting fondant, people peel it off and don't eat it... so I don't worry about it not tasting that great.. because I use it simply as an edible decoration, much like many of the figurines we make. I don't expect many people to eat it at all.

When I worked for a catering company, they actually always peeled off the fondant when they took the cake to the back to slice and serve it. So the guests never got to eat it anyway.

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal if it's not scrumptious. Your cake and buttercream should be the tasty part of the cake, not the fondant. Who wants to have the chew their icing anyway?

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 11

I thought all fondant was horrible till I tasted Satin Ice (rolled thin) and I love, even the texture of it with a good layer of bc.....it was super yummy!!!

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 11

Here is where I learned to make MMF. I know add butter flavor extract and sometimes peppermint extract when adding it to a chocolate cake! Everyone seems to like it. Good luck!!

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

ThePsychicToad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePsychicToad Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 11

Yeah, a lot of fondant doesn't taste the greatest, but i have this recipe for rolled butter cream Fondant. It is a little soft, but if you cover your hands with powdered sugar, or if you use gloves, then it works good. Here's the link for the recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Rolled-Buttercream-Fondant/Detail.aspx

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 30 Dec 2008 , 9:15pm
post #10 of 11

I used to use Satin Ice. I think it tastes pretty good..kinda like marshmallows... but when I use it people still peel it off. I find it pointless to make it taste "better" when at least the people I serve it to couldn't care less because regardless if it tastes ok or not, they don't want the texture.

I loooove working with fondant, and my customers/family/friends love the look of it, so I use it even though I don't think it "adds" to the flavor of the cake.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 31 Dec 2008 , 1:32am
post #11 of 11

I use Satin Ice too, and while everyone loves the look of it, some people will eat it and others peel it off. My mother-in-law in convinced, just by its appearance, that it will taste like marzipan (which she doesn't like), so she won't eat it although she's never had it. I never get offended if people don't eat it. Sometimes, I eat it and other times I will pass, even though I like Satin Ice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%